Screen Stays Off when making call...Can't END call

Last Updated:

1. rag133

rag133 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure how to fix this, but several times when I make a call and try to end it, the screen stays off and I cannot hit the END CALL button. This has happened a few times when I dialed the wrong number and wanted to just end the call before it connected, but when I flipped the phone back over from my ear it stayed off and the call kept going. Also, sometimes it will flash on for an instant then go back off again, still cannot end the calls.

Anyone know what is going on?

Advertisement
  2. jennyloca715

jennyloca715 Well-Known Member

the thing where the screen flashes has happened to me..
    and what I do is click on the phone Icon or in the tab where it shows that you are in a call and from there I can do anything.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

One of three things... (from easiest to hardest)

1 - You are covering the sensor with your hand, thumb, there is dirt on your screen, or your protective cover is blocking it. The sensor is at the top-left of the screen, just to the left of the MOTOROLA logo. Reboot phone, make a test call and test the sensor to see if it works, or if it was being covered up.

2 - You have a faulty sensor. Phone goes back to Verizon.

3 - The service that runs your phone app stopped running (force close). This happened to me once when I was experimenting with a 3rd party ROM. Either you need to figure out what app is conflicting with your phone app ... or go back to Verizon and have them reinstall the software on your phone.

4. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Top right. ;)

5. 22engine

22engine Well-Known Member

i have the same problem sometimes. I think it has to do with the sensor because all i do it cover it up with my finger and then move it and the screen comes on. Fed-Ex Just dropped off my new phone cause my other one the screen was clicking and getting really loose so hopefully the sensor in the new one is better

6. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Mine's top left. Do you have your directions mixed up? :)

7. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I have this problem as well from time to time...I am also sick o returning my droid...I do not think I have a faulty sensor. i think it is the software. Some of the time when I take phone away from my face the screen stays dark (and I do not have the sensor covered)

8. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

Sensors are in circled area.

[​IMG]

Also I have the same problem. And it's definitely software. It began happening right after 2.0.1

9. gonzoguy24

it happens just enough to annoy me here and there but not enough to make me wanna bring it in. Plus i bet if i brought it in i could not re-create this

10. gonzoguy24

Actually the sensor is on the left for me. Just tested it out. I am sure it is the same for everyone. The status LED is on the top right where you circled...if you look close in good light you can see the light sensor in the top left

11. gonzoguy24

its pretty funny you posted that and you are completely wrong.

12. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Drove me nuts too (short drive, admittedly). Installed freebie Screebl. If the screen stays black, a quick flick of my wrist brings it back, courtesy of this little gem. Problem solved.

13. illiniguy73

illiniguy73 Member

I vote for upper left as well.

14. gonzoguy24

Thanks for the tip iphone2droid!

I wonder if the next update will remedy this problem???

15. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

I have three separate things in the right, one is the LED, but then what's the other two?

16. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

yes, this happens to me and drives me crazy. i have made sure i'm not covering the sensor, so it's not that. it happens sporadically, so i don't think it's a bad sensor either.

i, too, think it's a software bug. might give that Screebl a try, but i don't like the idea of another constantly running service to fix this.

17. gonzoguy24

hmm there is something on the right too...but covering up the left makes the screen go dark...

18. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Pic of my phone. You can see the LED on the right and the other 2 on the left.

[​IMG]

edit: new picture so you can see everything. The LED is on the far right. The thing next to it is the light sensor. The left side has the proximity sensor that turns the screen off on a call.

19. gonzoguy24

This is how mine is as well. There is something else on the right though and I do not know what it is

20. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The sensor that turns off the screen is on the TOP LEFT.

Have someone call you ... do NOT put it on speaker phone ... place your thumb over the top LEFT sensor. Told ya so! :p

21. gonzoguy24

Yes yes we get it, it's on the left...now anyone know why some of us randomly have the screen stay off when nothing is over the sensor?

22. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I was reading this thread and laughing because I thought I knew the obvious answer. I was wrong. The sensor is on the top LEFT. To test this out you do not need to be on a call. All you have to do is be in a dork enough area for your soft keys at the bottom to be lit up. Now put your thumb over where you think the sensor is located. Now put you phone under a light source(lamp) and see if the soft key lights turn off. If they do not then you found the sensor. If they do,try another spot.
    This a good fast way to check if your senor works.
    I have a plasstic shield over my sensor and it works just fine. I have to amit when I first got my phone, I knew nothing of this sensor. I actually thought something was wrong because the keyboard light would turn on and off until I realizee I was sitting next to a lamp and was moving the phone to and from the light. The first time on a call was a shock too but I did then realize it was to conserve battery power.
    The sensor is on TOP LEFT for sure,even though my old eyes can not see it. Another thing I have learned reading this forum.

23. zim2704

zim2704 Well-Known Member

I have this problem from time to time and I just brush my fingeer over the sensor on the top left and the screen comes right back on. I have had the problem with 2phones from day 1 so I don't believe it is 2.0 or 2.0.1 related.

Just my .02cents

24. gonzoguy24

yea come to think of it this has happened on several phones i have had...im on number three at the moment...all of them did this.

25. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

if your talking about the screen going black when on a call it's so your ear doesnt end the call for you, not as much about battery power