• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen still dims on stay awake during charge

wildkitten

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2011
Alabama
I was wondering if anyone knew why when under Developer options the choice to keep Stay Awake for the screen is checked, it will still dim (not go completely asleep) after 1 minute? This gets annoying when using a navigation or other maps app.

If anyone knows how to keep this from dimming would be greatly appreciated.

"Stay Awake" is only for charging, as it says in the description, and is only designed to keep it from sleeping, not dimming. To keep the screen from dimming, you'll have to find a navigation app that prevents it. I use Waze, which prevents dimming by default. Google Navigation does prevent dimming, but Maps alone does not prevent dimming or sleeping. I've never really let the Maps thing bother me, as I usually leave Nav on until I'm close enough to my destination to not get lost.

Upvote 0
"Stay Awake" is only for charging, as it says in the description, and is only designed to keep it from sleeping, not dimming. To keep the screen from dimming, you'll have to find a navigation app that prevents it. I use Waze, which prevents dimming by default. Google Navigation does prevent dimming, but Maps alone does not prevent dimming or sleeping. I've never really let the Maps thing bother me, as I usually leave Nav on until I'm close enough to my destination to not get lost.

Well, it doesn't matter what app it is, or even if no app is open, the screen always dims. I was hoping there was a way to keep it from dimming at all.

Upvote 0
I have a display setting in "settings". Do you have one? (I'm rooted). I can set my display to stay awake for as long as 30 minutes. I only keep mine set for two. I do not know if it would dim over that length of time, though.

Yes, I can have it stay awake. That's not an issue. In fact under Developer options I have it set to Stay Awake while charging and use that setting every time it's in the car dock.

The issue is even with it staying awake, it will still dim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones