• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Time / Battery Life

chadwick409

Jan 31, 2011
I currently have a Razr Maxx and am thinkinging about trading it for a S3. I use the phone mostly for internet browsing, emails, text with some phone calls. With the Razr Maxx on ICS I get ~3.5-4 hours of screen time and that lasts me through the day.

I know there are a lot of battery threads, but screen time is most important to me. What are you guys currently getting with your S3s?

My norm is 4 hours screen time with power saving mode enabled and using a mix of 4G and wifi to surf da Web. Sometimes I squeeze 5 hours if I'm just texting, browsing through QuickPic; anything that doesn't require an Internet connection while the screen is on.

Hour usage in getting a consistent 12 hours with heavy use and up to 16 with moderate use.

Upvote 0
Razr = 3300 mAH

S3 = 2100 mAH

That should be your answer right there. If you just wanted to get the S3, then you would probably want an extended battery. But it sounds like to me battery being the only issue, stick with what you have.

When ever people come to me for smartphone advice, one of my first questions is about battery. If that is the single most important thing on a phone to them, I tell them to buy the Razr.

Upvote 0
Wait...you only get 3.5-4 hours screen time on a razr maxx?

How?

I can easily hit 4 hours screen on time on the S3. Easily. ( Using lots of browsing with wifi, moderate games, text messages and such. CPU power saver disabled as I want my phone to run to the max. )

I think the only time so far I have managed under 3 hours of screen on time is simply because I didn't hardly use the phone the entire day, but managed to have a wakelock for half of it. This resulted in something like 14 hours since charge, like 2 hours screen on, and 20 some percent left.

heck, pretty sure I could hit 3 hours of screen on time on my OG Incredible with it's pitiful 1300 mah battery which is getting quite tired at this point.

You might want to look and see if you have something going wrong. Bad app, excessive syncing, a particularly nasty live wallpaper, etc.

Also: It doesn't sound like you really need to change to an S3. It sounds like it would be a bit of an overkill for you. Sort of like buying a Bugatti Veyron to go to the grocery store:)

If you do switch though, it has indeed been a great phone so far, and we'll all welcome you over and help with the transition.

Upvote 0
I came from the Razr Maxx which with it I could get 2 days or 1 solid use of it on the weekends. The S3 gets me through the day with just under 50% by 6pm ( taking the phone off charge at 6:30 am) but I bought a spare battery and standalone charger. I like the fact that I can change out batteries on the fly, bc the maxx uses a lot of battery when running a navigation app and the car charger just can't keep up with it.
All in all I'm happy with the switch and love the S3

Upvote 0
With power saving on, my GS3 only gets about 2 hours 15 minutes of screen on time. Is that normal?

Android 4.1.2 (TouchWiz)

When you get that 2hrs screen, what total time are you getting?
If youve solidly used the phone then thats really bad battery life but if the phone has been on for 12hrs and had 2hrs screen on then thats pretty good/average :thumbup:

Upvote 0
When you get that 2hrs screen, what total time are you getting?
If youve solidly used the phone then thats really bad battery life but if the phone has been on for 12hrs and had 2hrs screen on then thats pretty good/average :thumbup:
12 hours phone on, 2 hours screen on, 15% battery remaining, data on most of the time, set to underclock when screen off.

Upvote 0
That seems pretty average to me tbh mate. I'd be OK with that. I wouldn't bother with the U/C while screen is off but that's a personal choice. :beer:
I use DS Battery Saver app to cut down wakelocks and radio use andthat really improves standby time for me by turning off data when screen is off but turning it on for 1minute every 1/2/4 hours to let apps check for notifications/updates :thumbup:
I wouldn't bother with power save mode either

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones