1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Screen timeout woesSupport

1. shutterpoet

shutterpoet Well-Known Member

A little help pls... my girlfriend has an HTC Thunderbolt and recently it will not turn off the screen automatically. I am not familiar, a little guidance would make me look great, as well as help a damsel in distress...:confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Menu>Settings>Display>Screen Timeout? Try toggling it off and on if it shows it's on already.
    shutterpoet likes this.
  3. shutterpoet

Tried that, screen dims after 1 min but doesn't shut off. Any ideas???
  4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

I've seen everyone mention everything from an app that's keeping the display on to a "car mode" being enabled. If doing a phone reboot (pulling out the battery) doesn't fix it then I'd say it has to be a setting somewhere. Best to do is to work backwards, ask her when it started and what apps she's downloaded since it worked. If she does backups, you can also try restoring to a previous date.

Oh and is she rooted?
    shutterpoet likes this.
  5. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member

Also, is this plugged in we're talking about?
    shutterpoet likes this.
  6. shutterpoet

Pulling battery. Not plugged in and she's not rooted. I have looked in display and power saver settings and nothing has changed. It still just dims after 1 min and that's it.
  7. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

After pulling the battery and holding the power button (to drain any residual charge), if you've rebooted and it's still not shutting off completely, I'd look at all the apps she's installed since the problem started and start removing each app one at a time. I'm not sure if you can view the app list by date of install, but ask her which apps have recently been added and remove each one, also any files that she may have downloaded recently. Also if she has Wifi tethering on, there's an "Always on" setting, although that shouldn't keep the display on. If all else fails, she's probably looking at doing a wipe/restore on her phone.
  8. shutterpoet

Re booted, pull battery and then put it on the charger. Now it works. Unbelievable. Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated. I'm glad to see the Thunderbolt forum is as stand up as the one for my poc Ascend- lol :cool:
  9. ziklag1257

ziklag1257 New Member

Try disabling Background Data. This worked for me.