• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen timeout

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, I didn't find it.

My mom's Moment has an issue with the screen shutting off way too quickly. I've adjusted the settings to 2 minutes, but it still shuts off in like 30 seconds. Anyone have similar issues or know how to fix it?

Thanks

Try a soft reset (battery pull). Also uninstall any app that may conflict with the screen timeout. and if that doesn't fix it then do a hard reset in settings > sd card and storage > factory data reset. This will delete everything on the phone. So back up whatever you need to sd card.

Upvote 0
After following what the above poster says.

Go into the Android app market and download 'screebl lite' and make sure to exclude it from any app killers that you are using.
Then set your screen timeout to 15secs (don't worry, that'll be plenty).

And enjoy. The screen will not turn off unless the phone is laying flat or you press the screen off (red hangup) button.

Upvote 0
Try a soft reset (battery pull). Also uninstall any app that may conflict with the screen timeout. and if that doesn't fix it then do a hard reset in settings > sd card and storage > factory data reset. This will delete everything on the phone. So back up whatever you need to sd card.

It's stock, nothing's been downloaded to it, so no apps should be messing with it. She's only had it for a few days, and isn't exactly "tech savvy" lol.

After following what the above poster says.

Go into the Android app market and download 'screebl lite' and make sure to exclude it from any app killers that you are using.
Then set your screen timeout to 15secs (don't worry, that'll be plenty).

And enjoy. The screen will not turn off unless the phone is laying flat or you press the screen off (red hangup) button.

She doesn't always use it in her hand. It's when she's sitting at a table and it's laying there while she's reading something that it shuts off and annoys her. That, and there shouldn't be a need for Screebl (I have it on my Hero, but have no need to use it except in very rare cases).

Upvote 0
She doesn't always use it in her hand. It's when she's sitting at a table and it's laying there while she's reading something that it shuts off and annoys her. That, and there shouldn't be a need for Screebl (I have it on my Hero, but have no need to use it except in very rare cases).
Well, if it's a situation where she is just going to lay it down, of course the thing is going to timeout!:p That's what timeout is for.

You know the phone cannot watch her at all times and tell when she is and is not reading the screen. So from what I can think of, you have three options. 1) Get screebl and prop the phone a little. 2) Completely disable the timeout. Or 3) Go get a screen timeout on/off widget to put on her home screen so that she can tell it to stay on when she is reading.

And though there shouldn't be a need for screebl (the phone should do it automatically). There nevertheless is a need for screebl. The apps in the market are there for personalization of the phone. To make it look better and function the way that you want it to. So if your mom is not tech savvy, I suggest that you set it up for her. Put everything that she needs there on her home screens and relabel the icons to say exactly what they do.

Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
Well, if it's a situation where she is just going to lay it down, of course the thing is going to timeout!:p That's what timeout is for.

You know the phone cannot watch her at all times and tell when she is and is not reading the screen. So from what I can think of, you have three options. 1) Get screebl and prop the phone a little. 2) Completely disable the timeout. Or 3) Go get a screen timeout on/off widget to put on her home screen so that she can tell it to stay on when she is reading.

And though there shouldn't be a need for screebl (the phone should do it automatically). There nevertheless is a need for screebl. The apps in the market are there for personalization of the phone. To make it look better and function the way that you want it to. So if your mom is not tech savvy, I suggest that you set it up for her. Put everything that she needs there on her home screens and relabel the icons to say exactly what they do.

Hopefully that helps.

I've already set the screen timeout to 2 minutes in the settings, so it should be timing out after 2 minutes (which I have no problem with). The problem is that it's timing out after about 30 seconds, not the 2 minutes I have it set for. THAT'S my problem, not that it times out because she's not using it.

Upvote 0
That's strange. I just disabled Screebl lite and changed the screen timeout to 2 minutes and it timed out in 2 minutes. Did you try setting it for 10 minutes or never timing out to see the result.

I'll mess with it when she gets home. I haven't even SEEN the phone since I messed with it the first time lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones