• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen timing out when on speaker phone - SGS2

Ellablue

Lurker
Nov 27, 2011
I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and have noticed that when I place the phone on speaker during a call the screen will power down and go blank after 30 seconds. I have the screen time-out set to 10 mins in the phone settings and apart from the speaker phone mode the screen will always power down after 10 mins.

When the screen powers off during speaker mode it will only turn back on when the other person ends the call or if I hit the lock or home button. Annoying as it means I can't end the call myself unless I press the lock or home button first. My proximity sensor seems to be working fine and during a normal conversation the screen will go blank when phone is up to my ear and resume display when I move it away from my ear. It's just when I have the phone in speaker mode that I encounter this 30 second screen time out. Is this just a feature of the phone that I have to live with or is it possibly a faulty handset?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. This is my first smartphone so new this this android world.

Ok so I rang Samsung Customer Support to find out about this screen time-out when on speaker phone. The rep told me that it is a feature of the phone designed to prevent you from accidently hanging up or muting someone when you are on speaker. It is set to 30 seconds by default and apparently it cannot be changed. The screen time-out settings on the phone (that I have set to 10 mins) only applies to the idle screen not phone calls.

So there you go. Just something I will have to live with I guess! Annoying that you have to press the home or lock button to reactivate the screen to end a call, or to press a number when on an automated service centre call, but a small quirk on an otherwise brilliant phone.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue, only a bit worse. Occasionally when making a call, the screen goes black (normally I'd be ok with this, I understand why). However, it goes completely unresponsive...meaning the "tilt" sensor that should turn the phone back on when i take it away from my ear to hang up, doesn't. And if thats not bad enough, pushing any or all buttons does nothing, the only way I can hang up is to remove the battery. Sometimes this happens for several calls in a row, sometimes the screen will come back after the other person has hung up (usually to the unlock screen), and other times it works normally.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with the 'time out' screen with no responses, but the power button and a swipe. Unfortunatly i also have enabled the power button to end calls since i really hate where the end call square is located on the screen.

Sooooo... If i am on speakerphone with, lets say, my cellular company, I punch in a bunch of numbers to get into my acct. Then listen as it reads off my balance owing and what not. Now I want to speak to someone about the screw up on my bill (quite frequently btw) So i need to press another button to talk to the operator. Unfortunatly my screens timed out and the power button will kill my call long before i get to slide. This is very very annoying.

Does anyone know if there are apps out there that can change the dialing pad layout and functions?? Anyhow, sorry to hi-jack but i figured it was relative to the initial post.

Jason

Upvote 0
My screen times out the same way while on speeker.
Happen to have the car charger plugged in while on speeker. The screen timed out as usual. I unplugged the charger and the screen reappeared. It was not a fix however. The screen timed out again while on speeker. What a pain.

Welcome to the forums!

Have you seen this?

BTW - if you want to override your screen on settings, this is worth checking out -

https://market.android.com/details?id=gr.androiddev.ScreenOn

Upvote 0
So the Screen On app seems to work. It does what it says, keeps the screen on. LOL.

The whole problem was that i wanted to be able to press a button instead of the screen to end calls. The only button that can be enabled also is the button to recall the screen after timeout. But i found another app thats kinda useful. I can disable the power to end calls button and activate the new app that allows me to shake the phone to end a call. It works so far, but i could imagine it has its drawbacks. Like the time i decide to drop the phone (accidentally) while on a call. Im assuming the bounce of the phone would end my call. But ill see how it does for now.

Anyhow, back to the point... EarlyMon was right about ScreenOn app working, in case anyone else is following my post.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones