Screen too bright

Last Updated:

1. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys! I'm new to the forums but I couldn't find an answer. I'm posting from the road, don't worry I'm not driving, but this screen is way to bright. Thw lowest the display goes is giving me eye strain. Is there any way to make the lowest setting lower?

Thanks!

christian r

Advertisement
  2. anjoga

anjoga Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound right. My display can be dimmed pretty low. In fact, in can be hard to read in even normal lighting when set at the lowest brightness. This is probably a useless question, but how have you gone about lowering your brightness? Do you go into settings, or do you use the settings widget?

3. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Tried both. Each one was still bright at lowest setting.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the DROID's screen still puts out 10% of it's "brightness" when it is set on the lowest setting. During the day, this is a very low setting. But at night in a dark room, or in a car while driving, this simply isn't dim enough. :(

The Sholes custom ROMs contain a "Brightness Control" app that hacks this internal setting and allows you to turn the screen all the way down to 2% ... almost darn near OFF.

Installing this ROM requires installing and running Sholes SMUpdater 7. That will root your phone and install the new ROM all in one shot.

Other than that, there really is no other options that I know of.

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

The Quick Settings app, free in the "market", has a setting lower than stock's "lowest setting".

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Not on my DROID. Even though the app's setting reads down to "0%" ... when I went to the stock brightness control, that lowest setting equaled Quick Settings lowest setting. Test it in a pitch black room.

7. colnago

That was never my experience, back in the end of November...I made a few posts about it around that time. I'm not sure if recent updates have affected brightness levels, but setting level to "lowest" via "Quick Settings", then setting to lowest via stock Droid controls, always "increased" brightness.

8. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Also the brightness app installed on my rooted phone, seems to have a mind of it's own, even if I set it full bright, it wants to dim itself. It's a very rough program with no "off" button.

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

So you are saying two lows DO make a light? :D

10. colnago

Quite the contrary..."not all lows are created equal." Quick Settings "lowest" seemed to set brightness close to that of the "lock screen's brightness".

11. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Either that, or many hands make the light work. :D