• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen turns off too fast

I have noticed an odd thing on my phone (Samsung Gravity Smart T589) where the screen turns off extremely fast, which can be a problem at times. I am wondering if anybody knows how to fix this.

Symptoms:
When I push the button on the right side of the phone to turn the screen on, if I don't swipe anything on the screen or push anything on the screen within 3 seconds, it turns off again. Which means that anytime I am sleepy or not able to immediately push buttons pronto, the screen turns back off before I had a chance to do whatever it was I was trying to do on the phone, and I have to push the button again.

What I've tried:
Every help thing I can find anywhere says to go to Settings/display/screen timeout and set the setting to 15 sec, 30 sec, 10 mins, 30 mins, etc. I currently have it set to 10 mins, and the 3-second problem still happens. I think the "screen timeout" is if you left the phone sitting there with the screen on, how long it would take before the screen turns off. So this does not seem to have anything to do with fixing the 3-second timeout problem.

Other:
If I leave the phone screen on, and leave it sitting there, the screen does not turn off for a while. I'm guessing this is what the 10-minute setting is affecting.

Does anybody know how to keep the screen from turning back off so fast? Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones