• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen turns off when camera blocked

void109

Lurker
Aug 2, 2013
This happened starting yesterday, where if I blocked the rear facing camera (the one facing you when you use the phone), the screen would turn black/off.

I install nothing related to anything like this, hell, I haven't installed anything in a week - just out of nowhere, if I block the rear facing camera, the screen goes off, unblock it, screen comes back on.

I rebooted the phone, and now the behavior is gone - but I can't help but wonder, what in the world just happened. My phone was requiring the camera unblocked in order to use it?

Does anyone know what might have caused this behavior? Thanks in advance!

This happened starting yesterday, where if I blocked the rear facing camera (the one facing you when you use the phone), the screen would turn black/off.

I install nothing related to anything like this, hell, I haven't installed anything in a week - just out of nowhere, if I block the rear facing camera, the screen goes off, unblock it, screen comes back on.

I rebooted the phone, and now the behavior is gone - but I can't help but wonder, what in the world just happened. My phone was requiring the camera unblocked in order to use it?

The camera facing you when you use the phone is the front facing camera, but I think it will be the proximity sensor that was switching the screen off. Were you calling somebody? When you are on a call, this is normal behavior, intended to prevent you pressing buttons with your cheek.

Upvote 0

I ran this test and your screen is only supposed to change color from white to green during the test. My screen blanks out completely during the test.
Not sure if the sensor is bad or if it is a software or and OS issue yet.
Need advice.

I just received a SM-T705Y, KitKat. When I am in only some applications not all, the screen shuts completely off when my finger passes over the two sensors/camera near the word "SAMSUNG" at the top of the device. I have tested the cause and done it repeatedly by putting a small piece of black electrical tape on the sensor.
With the tape on the sensor, the screen never shuts off. The screen then will come back on several seconds after I remove my finger/tape from the sensor. Also, I do not have to actually touch the sensor to get the screen to turn off. But it activates the lock screen when it does turn off. ANNOYING !!!
My SM-T705Y is not rooted. It is in developer mode.
I think its the sensor that turns the screen off when you take a phone call is still stuck on ???
I have the phone proximity sensor turned off in: Settings> When I'm the phone screen The screen stays on.
Auto adjust screen tone : ON
Auto brightness is off
I have the "Smart Stay" turned off in: Settings>Device>Display.
Screen timeout set to 10 minutes. Screen mode set to "AMOLED Cinema"
I have restarted, not rebooted the SM-T705Y
MilwaerInc@gmail.com

Upvote 0
I ran this test and your screen is only supposed to change color from white to green during the test. My screen blanks out completely during the test.

Need advice.

As you have a different problem, on a different device, and the thread was last updated in 2013, Its probably worth starting another thread for your issue.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones