Screen Unscratchable...? Uhhh no.

Last Updated:

1. Forge94

Forge94 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Nexus One's screen is made from a special type of glass called Gorilla Glass, which is meant to be virtually immune to scratching.

When I read this, I scrapped the idea of getting a screen protector because:
    a) I hate them if they're not necessary
    b) Well, no "b"

What I cant understand is that there is a 4cm scratch ranging from right next to the proximity sensors to the bottom right edge of the screen on my phone.
    AND IT"S CLEARLY VISIBLE!

I have never put my keys and phone in the same pocket. EVER!
    And then suddenly today i notice a massive scratch, along with scratches everywhere on the screen. When i say others, I mean another 10.

I just ordered some cheap protectors. But can I remove the scratch by rubbing something into it? I need to add value on this for when I sell it:D:D

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

No one knows if the N1's screen is GG or not. Since it's never been mentioned, I'll assume not.

As for the scratch, it may well polish out.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I don't think it's made from GG. I actually don't remember any reviews indicating what type of screen the N1 is made of. I'm guessing Mineral Glass since it's the most common used in most phones and Ithink cheaper than GG....

4. JD914

JD914 Active Member

No matter how good the glass be rest assured it will get scratched if you put inside your pocket. Pockets are the worst place to have any cellular device.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapalk

5. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

Let me finish those sentences for you. Really... where the hell else am I gonna keep my cellular device?

6. seer_claw

seer_claw Member

One thing is that most glass is not able to be scratched by steel, look at Moh's hardness scale. Glass is ~6-6.5, most (unhardened) steels are ~5. Now if you get other pieces of dust or small pebbles in your pockets then it is more likely to scratch as you often find that weathered rock is harder than glass so results in scratches.

7. SBERG

SBERG Well-Known Member

Why not use the case that came with the phone when putting it in your pocket?

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

This. I use it--it's great, snug, and provides great protection. Like a foolproof condom, in a way.

Also, dust particles and such are much more likely to damage the screen than keys.

9. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

I've been screaming about this since the beginning. Within 2 weeks of owning my nexus, my screen has a bunch of micro scratches that can only be seen in direct sunlight. And you have to look close to see them. They are vertical, right in the center where your finger scrolls. I babied this phone to an insane degree, yet these still appeared so quickly.

10. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

I have not used screen protectors on any of my devices in 4 years. I have carried around and actively used a Palm TX with a glass backed digitizer, a Nokia 5800 and now the N1 and never had a scratch on any of them. All direct sunlight reveals are finger prints and if I wipe the screen, there isn't a blemish in direct sun. I am careful, but not obsessively so. My NI rides in a belt case which has openings, so dust can certainly get in.

I just see no signs that the N1 is particularly vulnerable to anything. This is just my experience, so I can't categorically say it isn't, but I think the OPs experience is extreme and I'd be looking for something not having to do with the phone that went very wrong.

11. Endocraft

Endocraft Active Member

Could have checked your facts before posting...

Just because you don't remember what scratched your phone doesn't mean it wasn't your fault.