• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen was off - but Droid X decided to phone someone..

droidros

Android Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2010
DC Metro Area
I've had my X for just a couple of days. Everything seemed to be working great until today.

I was listening to Audible while cleaning my car. I always make sure the screen is turned off and I keep the phone in my back pocket. Twice, the book I was listening to suddenly paused for no apparent reason, and I'd have to unlock the screen, open Audible and press the play button. But what really got my attention was at one point I heard a beep and the phone ringing. When I pulled it out of my pocket, I realized my phone wasn't ringing, but it was making a call! I felt a little sheepish telling the person who answered (a car dealer) that my phone decided to make the call.

How could this happen if the screen is turned off? Yesterday, I was also listening to Audible the same way for an extended period of time and had no problems.

I had, however, made one change to the phone since yesterday, which could have affected something...? It had come with Advanced Task Killer already installed and was running by default. I then read (in this forum, I think) several posts advising against running these types of apps, so I killed it and uninstalled it.

Could this have made a difference?

I've had my X for just a couple of days. Everything seemed to be working great until today.

I was listening to Audible while cleaning my car. I always make sure the screen is turned off and I keep the phone in my back pocket. Twice, the book I was listening to suddenly paused for no apparent reason, and I'd have to unlock the screen, open Audible and press the play button. But what really got my attention was at one point I heard a beep and the phone ringing. When I pulled it out of my pocket, I realized my phone wasn't ringing, but it was making a call! I felt a little sheepish telling the person who answered (a car dealer) that my phone decided to make the call.

How could this happen if the screen is turned off? Yesterday, I was also listening to Audible the same way for an extended period of time and had no problems.

I had, however, made one change to the phone since yesterday, which could have affected something...? It had come with Advanced Task Killer already installed and was running by default. I then read (in this forum, I think) several posts advising against running these types of apps, so I killed it and uninstalled it.

Could this have made a difference?

Dont think ATK would cause this... but keep that thing off your phone.

I heard this same problem before, but i really dont remember if it was on the X, or another phone. I just figured that guy was crazy:D

Were these recently called numbers?

Not sure what is causing it, but i can only suggest an app called Call Confirm. Basically, you'll have to go through one extra step to make a phone call. This makes it pretty tough to dial by accident.

Upvote 0
Dont think ATK would cause this... but keep that thing off your phone.

I heard this same problem before, but i really dont remember if it was on the X, or another phone. I just figured that guy was crazy:D

Were these recently called numbers?

Not sure what is causing it, but i can only suggest an app called Call Confirm. Basically, you'll have to go through one extra step to make a phone call. This makes it pretty tough to dial by accident.

Well, I'm probably in good company (with the crazy guy). :D. But I know it wasn't ATK because I had already uninstalled it. In fact, I had no problems at all when ATK was running yesterday. My problems only started after I got rid of it.

I don't know what was causing it to pause the Audible playback except that maybe the cord to the headphones got tugged a bit which caused it to disconnect (that would seem like a plausible explanation). However, there seemed to be no reason at all why it would make a random call - and no, that number was not a recent call at all, nor was it the first one on the contact list, although it was on the first screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones