1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Screen will not turn on even though the phone is clearly on.Support

Last Updated:

1. drcgibso

drcgibso New Member

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched through the forums and found many similar cases but none quite like what I'm experiencing. I have a Droid X and was running the CM7 nightly build. Roughly 3 weeks ago, the phone was dropped into water which caused the screen to start to flicker. I immediately pulled the batter and blew it out with compressed air, then placed it into tupperwear with those little dessicant bags that always come with electronics and left it for a few days. After it'd finished drying, i put the battery back in, boots up perfectly and runs great for about 10 days. Then one day at work, I rebooted the phone, but when it turned back on, the screen stays black, but the backlight is still on. The screen is responsive so it's receiving touch input but the display just isn't working. Has anyone encountered this before or know what could be causing this? If I've left out any important information, please let me know.

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Try a battery pull. Remove the cover, pull the battery out for a few seconds, then replace and power up the phone again.

My MIUI rom last night hung after removing from the charger and I had to do a pull to bring that back.

Unless you've got a bunch of those desiccant bags, I bet rice would absorb more moisture. :D
  3. drcgibso

drcgibso New Member

I've tried this numerous times in the past, and even now it still doesnt work. Yesterday, I put the battery back into it and it started and worked fine. Today, I rebooted it and it went right to the black screen again.
  4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Time to throw it in rice for a week? Do you have another phone you can activate in the meantime?

Do you have it insured?
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

By the way, its my understanding that the lingering after-effects of water exposure (aside from the obvious if there is still water left inside) are the minerals and contaminants from the water left-over after the drying-out process.

I've read that its these contaminants are what cause issues like the OP is seeing. They are devilishly difficult (if not impossible) to fully remove.

This info is, of course, no comfort, other than to help explain what might be occurring.

Best of luck to the OP...I hope you figure this out.

Cheers.