• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen won't come back on in a call?

When I'm on the phone and talk for over 15 mins or so my screen won't come back on. It goes off when I put it against my head like it is supposed to and comes back on when I pull it away like it should. But after 15 mins or so it goes off and wont come back on when I pull it away. So I can't end my call and when it's time to end the call of course I can't, nor can I get a call waiting. I had my phone's display set to time out after 10 mins then changed that to never time out but it still does this. However this setting shouldn't matter I wouldn't think, but it doesn't help either way. I'm having to do a battery pull to get my screen back, I have no other issues other than this. I hope I don't have to take it back!:mad: Will this be fixed on the December update? I plan on putting a call into Verizon tech support later but wanted to get your thoughts. Any ideas?

When I'm on the phone and talk for over 15 mins or so my screen won't come back on. It goes off when I put it against my head like it is supposed to and comes back on when I pull it away like it should. But after 15 mins or so it goes off and wont come back on when I pull it away. So I can't end my call and when it's time to end the call of course I can't, nor can I get a call waiting. I had my phone's display set to time out after 10 mins then changed that to never time out but it still does this. However this setting shouldn't matter I wouldn't think, but it doesn't help either way. I'm having to do a battery pull to get my screen back, I have no other issues other than this. I hope I don't have to take it back!:mad: Will this be fixed on the December update? I plan on putting a call into Verizon tech support later but wanted to get your thoughts. Any ideas?

This has happened to me only one time. The proximity sensor didn't work - apparently - because the screen didn't come on. It was a short call, too, so I don't think it has anything to do with screen timeout or talk time.

Fortunately, I've only seen it happen once, but it was a bit of an annoyance. Luckily the device restarts quickly, too, compared to my Blackberry which took about 2 years and 3 months to restart.

I am hoping they address this in a future update, but for now I haven't seen the problem pop up too often. If you are having issues on a regular basis you may want to try to replace the device or do a factory reset and see how that goes.

Upvote 0
Yep... this has happened to me several times (with today being the most recent). I think the phone goes to sleep after a little while, taking the sensors with it. Sometimes, it does not wake up fully until the other party hangs up - even after exposing the sensor to light, shaking the camera, or pressing the Sleep/Power button. By "fully" awake, I mean that the display will sort of flicker on and off, but not long enough for me to hit the "End" button.

I hope they can fix this in the December 11 update.

Upvote 0
There have been a few discussions on this, and it has happened to a number of people, me included. It is not related to invisibleshield type covers, it's related to the screen-timer and the proximity timers walking on each other. (In fact it happened to me whilst on a call with a Verizon help rep -- he said they had been seeing it a lot, and ended up calling me on my home phone so we could get past the automated prompts.)

It *seems* that simply hitting the power button when this occurs wakes things up.

Upvote 0
One part is right, tapping power button will bring it back.

But even 30 seconds in a call when I have to bring up the keypad (to select a menu option), it won't bring the screen back in low light.

So my theory was the invisibleshield, but it's probably low light combined with the IS.

Honestly now that I think about it, it ONLY happens when I'm in very dim locations.

Upvote 0
same with me (but not ALL the time in low light). sometimes even pressing the power button won't turn on the screen again.

Yeah, like it's dark early and I'll make calls then step out back on the patio with no lights. It does it every time there.

I have that IS protector on.

Sometimes inside when I have all the lights off, it might do it occasionally.

And sometimes tapping power, and this might be my mind, I do it right when the screen comes back, so it split second lights and then blanks again, like my press turns it off :)

Not that big of a deal, just takes a few seconds to find the happy spot when it's not happy, but I have my theories :)

Upvote 0
Well I have no screen protector on my phone. Touch buttons on the bottom light up (back, menu, home and search) even the keyboard when I slide it out, but no screen. I can tap the power button (or any button for that matter) and it does nothing. The only thing that works to get my screen back is the battery pull. I just got off the phone with tech support and she had me check the safe mode setting which was the way it should have been. This is done by turning the phone off, then holding the menu key on the keyboard and power button at the same time. I ended up doing a factory rest, everything came back. My contacts, calender, and apps. You just go into the app store and hit downloads and they are all there you just have to download them back. I was really glad I didn't have to go search for them all again. But if anyone is wondering about the factory reset don't be. As long as you have your phone synced correctly your fine. The only thing you have to do is move your icons and widgets back the way you had them, plus any settings. I'm going to do a test call to see if this fixes the problem...

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if a rogue app is causing this.

Google should give us android 2.0 users the option to only download 2.0 verified, or exclude 1.6 or older apps.

Only reason I say that is because there's battery life problems after someone downloads a certain application that everyone thinks is "necessary". Same might apply here!

Upvote 0
This happened to me when I had no apps on the phone, and no invisibleshield. I believe the proximity and screen timeout walking on each other are the best explanation I've seen.
The problem is the proximity sensor and the default screen time out are walking on each other.
For example if you have the default set to 2 minutes and your call lasts longer than two mintues the screen gets locked and you have to push the power button and it seems the proximity sensor does not override the default timeout.
what shoud happen is if you are in a call the default time out should never engage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones