• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen won't shut off -Samsung can't repair

Not sure if this is coincidence or is actually related to the recent Android update. My Galaxy S3, ever since the update, will have the power button not work to shut the screen off. It won't shut off on its own either. I've had it to the local Samsung Experience center at Best Buy where they reinstalled the software and did a factory data reset 3 times. Right after all of that the screen will shut off with no problem, but after 3 or 4 days of having the phone shut off most of the day at work and turning it back on later in the day it will start acting up again and I can't shut the screen off. Also happening at the same time is failure to connect to wi-fi - won't go past the checking of the wi-fi signal - won't connect. I've not installed any apps on it after doing the reset and it will work for 2 or 3 days after doing the reset but then it's back to the screen not shutting off. It's been sent to Samsung once already for repair but all they did was reinstall the software, at which time it will work properly and then they send it back to me. My warranty is good until November. Samsung says they do not replace phones, just repair them. I am sending it in AGAIN to see if they can repair it. The Samsung people at Best Buy said it is definitely a hardware issue. I'm betting they will just be reinstalling the software again this time, too. Anybody have this issue? After the Android update? And wth is up with the no replacement/only repair at Samsung??

Yes, twice I've called Boost about it and the most they'll do is send me a loaner phone while I send my phone back to Samsung. They say that Samsung holds/issues the warranty (true) and that I have to go through them. Today, after two different people at Samsung told me they only repair, a Samsung customer service rep at the Best Buy store told me they most certainly do replace phones if they can't be repaired and that Samsung would be the one to replace it, not my carrier. The second technician that I spoke with, who set up the second repair ticket yesterday, had put in the ticket as a "touch screen" issue which it is not, so this guy at tech support that I called today put in the notes that the power button needs to be replaced. I have a bad feeling about all of this. Nobody wants to own up to anything although the guy at tech support that I called today DID admit, after I told him to get the warranty up on his screen, that they do replace them if they can't repair them so maybe I'm in luck. I'll let you know what happens.

Upvote 0
Holy COW these people are MORONS!!! The technicians ignored the notes in big capital letters on the ticket AND my hugely written note that I rubber banded to the front of the phone in huge letters "this is not a touch screen issue. The power button needs replacing - works intermittently". The email they sent about the ticket said they "found issue: TOUCHPAD FAILURE" and "REPLACED LCD" as the solution!!! The touch pad worked perfectly - there were no issues - they did NOT find anything wrong with the touchpad, just went by the stupid initial notes in the ticket. I even wrote the issue in big letters on the paperwork that had to be sent in with it. I am totally disgusted with these people - have been without a phone for a total of 3 weeks because of their ignorance and am STILL paying boost for monthly service during this time. I'm certain they will tell me I have to send it in again at which time I will explode on somebody.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones