Screen wont turn offSupport

Last Updated:

1. Fahrenheit85

Fahrenheit85 Well-Known Member

So on my SGS3 from Verzion, the screen wont auto turn off. Its killing me on battery life. I had this issue before the JB update. I also did a hard reset after I got the JB update. I shut off all the face detect things already.

Can anyone help me?

2. ceva321

ceva321 Well-Known Member

have you tested the display?

screen timeout
    select the 1 minute choice....

if the device turns off then you are fine... please let me know
  3. Fahrenheit85

Fahrenheit85 Well-Known Member

I already had it set for 15 secs. No matter the time set the screen wont turn off 80% of the time. Could it be a short somewhere?
  4. ceva321

ceva321 Well-Known Member

i would do a factory reset.....maybe somewhere you downloaded an app or something that keeping the screen on indefineately ....just do a factory reset and that should fix it :)
  5. silentwitness

silentwitness Well-Known Member

im having a similar issue as OP but mine is only when i play music the screen wont switch off otherwise it turns off fine.
  6. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Check Settings / Developer Options / Stay Awake (should be unchecked). It's supposed to be only while charging, but still make sure it's unchecked.

If that's not it, download the app GSam Battery Monitor. After it's run for a while, open and tap the vacuum cleaner icon at the bottom of the screen. This shows apps consuming the battery. At the top you can also switch to view which apps are keeping the phone awake, waking the phone, and various other lists. Very useful in finding battery draining apps.
    thoufeee likes this.
  7. ocean_jasper

ocean_jasper New Member

I have been having the same issue as Fahrenheit85 for about two weeks. It is an almost-new phone and I was worried it was defective.

Following the advice above, I uninstalled the two most recently-installed apps, and did a "restart" on the phone (restarting alone did not remedy the problem). Happily, uninstalling the two apps worked, and my screen now auto-turns off! I'm not sure which app was the culprit but regardless I'm very relieved.

A factory reset was not needed -- happy about that as well. :)