• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen won't turn on after overnight charge

jwinstonc

Mar 22, 2010
So I plugged in my DINC the other night to charge as I do everynight and the next morning when I hit the power button to check emails, the screen won't turn on. The softkeys light up and the notification LED is blinking green but no screen. I pulled the battery and tried to reboot. It vibrates, says Droooooiid. But the screen stays black. I decided to leave the battery out for a few hours and try later. Phone booted up, screen turned on, and all was well.

After two days of the phone working fine, I unplug the phone from charging this morning and the same thing happened where the screen isn't turning on. Removed the battery for about 10 minutes, put it back in and now it's working fine again.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any ideas on what could be causing it? The phone was purchased on release date nearly 2 years ago so it could just be its time to die. It's unrooted and did get drenched in water last summer. Rice trick and working fine since.

Water will corrode the parts over time, any contact with water no matter how short will eventually cause parts to fail. Unless you were able to instantly dry the phone, water was sitting on electronics that were holding a charge. Plus I'm sure there was some sediment or chemicals in the water there is no way to get rid of.
And tiny rice particles probably made their way into the phone. Combine all of that and you have a ticking time bomb.

You can try just replacing the screen, they are relatively cheap and not too difficult to swap out. Also taking it apart may give you a clue as to what exactly got fried.

Or you can hold out and use that money to upgrade to the incredible 3 which is rumored to launch April 26th.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones