ScreenGeneral

Last Updated: 2013-04-13 09:44:41
  1. daviddcmd

daviddcmd Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I took my SG3 back was the screen was unusable in direct sunlight and the sort of cartoonish characters.

I spend a lot of time outside, convince me the the SG4 will be better.

I don't care that it's made of plastic and won't win any cell phone beauty contests I just want to be able to see it outside.

Advertisement
  2. markyboy81

markyboy81 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a lot brighter than the s3 but apparently the reflectivity is very low, so it shouldn't be a problem
  3. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I couldn't possibly convince anyone it's better or worse than the S3 because I haven't seen the S4 in person. It may not be better. In fact I haven't seen any screen outside of e-ink which is easily viewable in direct sunlight.

Which phones are you considering and what are you using now?
  4. daviddcmd

Currently have a Nexus 4, but would like LTE and more space.

Looking at Xperia ZL and SG4
  5. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

From this review (assuming the Z and ZL use similar screen technology):
    Sunlight visibility is about the same as the S3. Quoted from here
    I'm surprised that you think the Nexus 4 has better sunlight visibility. This is from the S3 vs. Nexus 4 review at the same sight:
    Sunlight Contrast Ratio:
    S3 3.419
    S4 3.3352
    Z - 2.462
    N4 1.926
  6. daviddcmd

This just proves that it's better to see for yourself. To me the LGOG had the best screen outside followed by the N4.

I couldn't turn the SG3 up bright enough. If the SG4 is going to be the same then I'm going with the Sony.
  7. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

Really? the review says that the S4 "easily bests the Xperia Z in terms of sunlight legibility and contrast." BTW, here are the 100% brightness figures.

S3 330
    S4 404
    XZ 492
    N4 608

Both the S4 and ZL will be a step backwards. You might be better off staying with what you've got.
  8. lou61166

lou61166 Well-Known Member

My one complaint with Samsung has been the oversaturated Dim display,back when the note 2 came out,i was considering it till i seen it next to the Droid DNA,and could not see having to look at that horrible display for 2 years,granted i have not seen the S4 yet but everyone has an opinion on what they need and expect in a phone,HTC if for nothing else has a proven display winner at least for now.