• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screw 2.1. hello evo

so you're going to pay 500-800+ for a phone that'll be top of the line for 8 months, rather than wait for an upgrade and only pay 100-300? Great financial decision

And it's not the Iphone killer, because people are still going to buy the Iphone. There will probably be more iphone users than evo users, because the iphone is a known name. Everyone knows what an Iphone is, not very many people know what an Evo is, or hell, even what a Hero is. Let alone there will probably be a new Iphone in 2011 that runs on 4G

Upvote 0
i have a Hero at the moment and my contract is able to upgrade with a phone. i can get the evo for mad cheap jsut like when the hero came out. the evo will prob only be like 150 with a contract upgrade.

how are you eligible for upgrade with your Hero already? Or is a different line you have eligible? Because the Hero didn't come out until Fall, and the earliest I know of being able to upgrade (normally) is every year...

Upvote 0
ah, that makes sense.

I still plan on waiting until October when my upgrade's up, then the bugs will be worked out of the phone :D

yeah i use to own a sprint samsung instinict and it was AWESOME. prob one of the best landscape touch screen keybaord phones ever made. but i got so board of it i bought myself a hero on crigslist for like 350 bucks. well worth spent.

Upvote 0
Like tatonka, my upgrade date is in October. Personally, I love the form factor of the Hero and I'm looking forward to the 2.1 update. I'm running the DamageControl ROM and it is sweet, but it'll be nice to have Sprint based custom ROMs. Because it is rooted there is always something exciting happening with the Hero, so I can honestly see myself keeping this phone for a couple years. However, I'm a techy at heart and the EVO does look impressive (though I'm not overly thrilled with the larger size for a phone). Bottom line for me is that I'm in no hurry to upgrade since my Hero is serving me well. But who knows? Once I reach my upgrade date I may have the itch to get it.

Upvote 0
I LOVE new tech, but I'm not down with burning cash just for the "latest and greatest" that will actually be obsolete less than a year after it is launched. I have no problems with my Hero, it does everything I need it to do perfectly, and it fits well in my pocket, something that the EVO definitely won't do (unless you are a fat guy who wears huge pants that consist of gallon-sized pockets).

Eventually when I get a full upgrade I will probably do it.

Upvote 0
My hero isn't rooted and every day I find something new that the hero can do. I agree that the evo is one of the coolest devices I have seen in a long time, but the hero does everything I need and more. Until they work out the bugs (there WILL be bugs) and until I get 4G, I dont see the point in dropping a bunch of cash. It seems pointless to me to try and keep up with the latest and greatest at this point with all the speculation of new phones every six months. Obviously this is just my opinion, so good luck to all who get the evo on the day of release!
wink.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones