SD card access on Thrive via USB/PCSupport

Last Updated:

1. danxmanly

danxmanly New Member

I have a 16 gig Thrive with 32 gig sd card installed. I can see the card through the file manager on the thrive and it reports proper size, I can create folders on it, and cut and past files to it.

However, when I plug in the usb and attach to my PC, all I can access is the internal memory which reports in at around 9 gig total. ( as to why the entire 16 gig doesn't report I'm not sure? ) Anyway, I want to drag and drop files to the SD card while it's in the Thrive but can't get it to show up. I've tried powering off/on, unmounting, re-inserting, all to no avail. I know I could just remove the card, put it in a reader on the PC, drag files to it and reinsert into the thrive... but why can't I see the SD card while it's nserted in my tablet?

2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

This is an issue with Honeycomb, since now set up as portable storage instead of a logical drive. The other storage is not seen as a result.
    danxmanly likes this.
  3. danxmanly

danxmanly New Member

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't botching something up or needed to format the SD in a certain way. I have a Droid X as well and it works fine when plugged into pc in regards to accessing main storage and micro sd.. but of course it's not honeycomb.

Off to touch my Thrive some more! ;-)
  4. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

Sd card is at /storage/sdcard-disk0/
  5. rushmore

Seems odd how Tosh mapped this, since should be in root directory. I found the real sd card directory inside the root sd card directory. It is amongst the directories of the internal storage.

Very strange directory tree.

Still no problem- assuming the sleep issues are fixed. Mine does not wake up more than it does. Just now had to shut down for the seventh time since yesterday. Polar opposite sleep issue of the A500.
  6. OxygenD

OxygenD Active Member

Wonder why this happens to some and not others? I got mind Sunday and I've used it pretty heavily since and I haven't had it fail to wake up a single time yet.
  7. rushmore

In case you were only referring to the Thrive root directories, you can also access the sd card through the PC, since the same directory path is there too.

I do not think you can do that with the A500 or Transformer.

I recant my statement that the Thrive mapping is odd. It is actually very good :)

Now, if Toshiba could just use the same smart power for the sleep wake issue.
  8. JaneSpau

JaneSpau New Member

I too am new to all this and recently bought the thrive for the reason of all the external storage available. I am really bummed that within a week of my purchase this feature does not work as I need it to. (software access) I have a card that I can access with file manager, but that is it. Not very useful.

Any hope that ICS will fix this issue?
  9. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what issue you're referring to. The recent (a month or so ago?) system update just changed the path to the sdcard - maybe that's the problem you're having? Instead of /storage/sdcard-disk0 it's now at /mnt/sdcard2. The /mnt/sdcard is your internal storage, and I'm guessing the usb is at /mnt/usb or usb1, 2 or whatever if you're connected to a hub.
  10. Jonnyb0893

Jonnyb0893 New Member

So i'm thinking about getting a Toshiba Thrive and I was wondering if I could just get a 8gb one and then just put a 32gb sd card in it and just us that as the main storage so it would save me money... or would it? is that a stupid idea or should I just by a 32gb?
  11. egkor

egkor Well-Known Member

Short answer: Yes, you can do that. Even better, the Thrive supports high capacity SD cards to up to 128 GB, IIRC.

-Gary K
  12. l0rdvader

l0rdvader New Member

How do I save the files to the SD card (or even a jump drive?) Becase I can not figure out how to use it as the main storage