SD Card and Error 18Support

Last Updated:

1. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds This Topic's Starter

Okay so a while back, about the time Angry Birds demo came out, my phone started giving me a message when installing apps saying "installation failed unknown reason-18" so for a while I just lived with it until finally I just wanted it fixed. So at first Sprint just told me to do a hard reset, then they did a reset that only they can do that is supposed to be better, the problem was still there, so eventually they said they would just get me a replacement phone. I just got the phone today and when I went to install stuff it gave me the same error code. I thought about the only things that have stayed consistent between the phones and the only things are the battery, SD card, and my gmail account. I figured the battery wouldn't do that so I decided to unmount the SD card and try and it installed perfectly so I figure I need to reformat the SD card but I don't exactly know how to do that so I came here to ask and also see if anyone knows if there is a certain file on the SD card that would cause that. Please help because I don't want to have to unmount the SD card every time I try to install something. Also I am a Mac user incase that changes anything.

Oh and I wasn't sure exactly were this should go so if I posted this in the wrong area could a mod please move it.

Advertisement
  2. wacko11

wacko11 Well-Known Member

Copy all ur files on ur sd to ur pc, delete the asec folder and then reformat ur sd card then transfer back ur files.........I had this same problem.

3. An UrgeTo Dance

Okay I don't see a file by that name is it in one of the folders?

4. wacko11

Ur sd card should have 3 folders asec, sdcard and secure delete the asec one that's the apps to sd folder.

5. An UrgeTo Dance

Okay well I used the searched asec on my computer and it found nothing.

6. wacko11

When u opening up ur sd card wut do u see?

7. An UrgeTo Dance

All I see is a bunch of folders some have to do with my music, apps that store stuff on the sd card and some that were there when I first got the phone such as the one titled Android. I searched the sd card and could not find the file you named

8. wacko11

Do u have astro on ur phone?

9. An UrgeTo Dance

I don't know what that is but I don't think I do. Right now they just replaced my phone and all I have put on it are a couple of games, LP, and a few widgets. My SD card has a couple of backups on it but nothing that has astro in it.

10. wacko11

Astro is a file manager...........download it from the market, after that open it and u should see the asec folder.

An UrgeTo Dance likes this.
  11. An UrgeTo Dance

Okay if I delete the file will it have any other effects on my phone?

12. wacko11

Nah.

13. portal

portal Member

Wait so to fix this you have to reformat your entire SD card?

14. wacko11

15. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Well-Known Member

Just wanted to throw this in there. I have had the same issue as well but it is only with two apps out of all the apps I have loaded, "the new york daily news" and "dolphin - blue". I spoke to Sprint at length twice on this matter, did the factory reset and as we were going over this, the tech said that he had noticed a bunch of these notes coming in to his system and there were a lot where people had the same issue. What Sprint said was that it most likely goes back to the creator of the App itself. I don't know how true it is but after searching through all other forums for answers, this might be true. I tried contacting the app developers and Handmark, the Daily News developer suggested that they are looking into it and may need to update the App....

16. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Well-Known Member

Have you had luck doing this? I always get an error message that won't allow me to do this...

17. wacko11

U have to copy the whole sd card to ur pc and delete the folder off of the pc format the sd card and transfer ur files back onto the sd card without the asec folder.

18. travelcat

travelcat Well-Known Member

On my freshly reset Desire, the /mnt/secure folder is empty, as is mnt/asec.