• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card & Best for Non-Root?

piludo36

Jun 20, 2013
Earth
I really need a recommendation for best NON-ROOT SD card; size/speed/manufacturer for Commando c771 regarding performance? Currently job hunting and can't afford phone issues right now.

Current SD: 32GB San Disk Ultra, microSDHC UHS-1. Package say's speed up to 48 MB/s.
Current SD App: ES File Explorer I really love this app. I use a slightly older version, 3.2.5.5 (last two releases suck... even on reviews)
Problem: Laggy, especially. Recently some occasional re-boots, freezes and calls that don't ring. This seems to coincide with the instillation of more SD Apps and/or while texting.

I read recently that larger SD's , as well as wrong speed SD's can slow down the phone because of read time. And yeah I'm running this thing as minimally as possible. Black photo for background, all the crapware widgets removed, animations off, etc. Also clear bloat data app by app to disable (nothing in the framework)

Being Non-Root I use as many SD loadable apps as possible.
One of them is Chomp (the native sucks because I can't increase font)
Although I have 52mb of internal memory left and I'm only using 205mb of RAM I'm suspecting my card is too big and slowing the things down.

I'd really appreciate a recommendation,
Thanks!!

I find that the San Disk Ultra microSDHC "android mobile phone" cards work great for the device, but they are a little behind in write speeds in comparison to class 10 write speeds. I use the card more for listening to music, stuff that is mostly reading from the card. You prolly have a lot of apps on the card, mostly reading and writing. You could try a class 10 card as it could slightly improve performance. Try to look for cards that have high IOPS ratings on newegg.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones