• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "SD Card blank or has unsupported file system"

My original SD card died last night on my 3 month old DHD - it was working one minute, and then it was `unavailable' the next. Tried it in the PC card reader and nothing! I did the update a few weeks ago, and until now had not seen any of the problems others have talked about.
Phoned HTC Support this morning (in eastern europe apparently), and very quickly the guy was taking my address to post me a new one. I asked was there a possibilty of it happening to the new one, but apparently there will be some instructions with it to avoid that.

Then you're lucky...my experience with HTC support in this exact situation (3 months fine...then blam) is that they call the SD card an accessory, therefore not covered.

I complained and they escalated it...hopefully at some point someone will call me and tell me they're going to send me a new card...

Upvote 0
This is going to cost HTC dearly!
I have spent the past couple of days trying to figure out why my memory card is no longer working/being recognized.
Having spent most of this searching the net i was shocked to find dozens and dozens of posts to this and other forums with the same/similar issue.

My deductions is it is not the memory cards at fault.
i.e. the card is not where the fault originates.
It would seem it is either HTC hardware and/or software that is producing the fault.

From what i can gather and what my head is telling me it seems that a software update supplied from HTC has triggered this. When i say triggered i mean it seems to have triggered something in the hardware to screw up the memory cads of certain models of phone.

I am furious and frustrated.

To add insult to injury HTC don't appear to have acknowledged this on there site.
I appreciate issues can occur with anything but as they say - Its not so much the problem its how it is dealt with.

As i started this reply I end it by saying this could, and probably will, hit HTC hard. Both reputation and financially.

I for one am teetering on the edge of regretting my 3 month old HTC Desire HD purchase.

My suggestion to all affected is contact HTC direct now! Don't wait and don't just rely on forums. If they do not acknowledge it now then surely they will when everyone with a similar problem contacts them.
I personally will be emailing the Gadget Show as well. I feel that such a show will prick up its ears at such a story, again especially if hundreds to likewise.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Here's my story:
1. I unmount my sd card on my 3 week old HTC MyTouch 4G & plug it into (and access it from) my laptop. It's an HP with Windows 7.)
2. I eject it properly from my laptop.
3. When I plug the sd card back into my phone it won't allow me to re-mount it without formatting it. Losing that data's a drag, but I suck it up and do it.
4. I've learned done this enough times to know, so now I preemptively copy and paste the entire sd card into a folder on my laptop before re-mount and re-format on my phone.
5. THEN I have to plug my phone in via USB to recover the lost data by pasting the stuff I saved on my laptop.

All of this nonsense just ends up resulting in a mess of files on my phone. I've no idea what I can/should delete, or how to rearrange it all--which seems to result in a WHOLE LOTTA buggy apps, phone crashes, etc=aka suckage. So now I'm pretty much stuck accessing my phone SOLELY via usb cable, which cancels out the benefit of having an sd card in the first place!

I've spoken to T-Mo so often in the last 2 months that they actually sent me this phone for FREE (to replace my last 2 brand new HTCs)--along with allowing me to KEEP my the brand new phone it replaced! Great, but this hasn't corrected this particular problem. This phone hardly lives up to its immense potential. :(

Oh and btw, my other brand new $500 HTC is for sale if you're interested... :D

Upvote 0
Maybe my first mistake was pulling the micro card at the same time I was replacing the battery...I should have put in the charged battery, rebooted the phine, and then powered down the phone first! AFTER I put my micro card into an adapter and then into my desktop, I copied most of the pics and the contacts; then when I was going back through the pics deleting the ones I didn't want left on the card, I got a message about a power surge from the USB port., so I stuck it into my laptop and got the "this drive has not been formatted, format now?" message. I then put it n=back in the phone and got the "SD card blank or has...." message. I rebooted the phone again and didn't get the message, but the pics I had saved to the phone were gone. My contacts were still intact. Not sure which thing caused this, the pulling out the card at the wrong time. or deleting only some of the pics while in th pc...any ideas? I guess I could try to retrieve them. Guess I'll repost if that works, and what program I used?!! This is the first time I've posted...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones