SD Card changing procedure

1. Hi Android people of the interwebs,

This is my first post, I recently got a Hero and spent the last few days lurking hard enough to root, flash Cyanogenmod 6.0 (RC1), uncapped kernel, and collins battery tweak without trouble. Needless to say, this transformed my phone and I'm passionately in love with it :)

Finally I am reaching out to community for help for the first time. I want to buy a bigger (and faster) SD card, and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. Can I simply insert the new card and format it, or do I need to transfer any specific files, do a wipe of any sort, etc. before switching cards?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. the CP

the CP Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a new card after doing the same steps you are (with minor changes) and here's what I did.

I would assume that, if the card is pre-formatted, the phone should recognize it without having to move anything over to it from the old card. You can format either via recovery (partition the card, also required if you want to use A2SD) or by using your computer.

I had photos, ringtones, and apps on my SD card that I wanted to keep, so I just moved all of the contents of my previous card to the new one. Works great.
  3. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

If you want everything to be the same on your phone, just have more space on your SD the you need to back up your current SD and copy ALL that onto your new one.
    I don't know much about Apps2SD, so if you are using that I suggest you specifically ask about what needs to be done there...