SD card class?

Last Updated:

1. eL777

eL777 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey just wondering if anyone has any solid information on what class the sd card is inside this thing? I pulled it out and looked but I didn't see any info on the card itself and I've read many sources where it says class 2, but the motorola developer site for droid states class 6. The only reason I ask is because I installed doom for android and it puts it on the sd card but it runs slooow, so don't know if its because it is crappy or my sd card is too slow to handle it. thanks!

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure it's a Class 2.

3. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

It's Class 2, I've read other people putting in Class 6 cards in the their Hero's and they have said it has done nothing for em. So save your money.

4. QrafTee

I'd invest in a 32gb Class 6 if and only if I can install apps onto the card itself. If it's just holding videos, music, and contact lists... it won't matter at all.

5. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

If apps constantly read/write to the SD card, a faster card would be worth looking into (I'd rather have a 8 or 16 gb class 6 than a 16 or 32 gb class 2)

I'm going to wait until someone with a class 6 card can verify if there's any noticable difference in performance.

6. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

7. QrafTee

Unless Android 2.0 has some sort of ReadyBoost-equivalent that allows one to "donate" a portion of the microSD to cache... I don't see a Class 6 helping "your system as a whole."

8. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

How about when taking pics? Maybe a class 6 can save the picture faster; its quite slow with the default card.

9. QrafTee

Well I know that SD card speeds do affect the speediness of some digital cameras... but just as quickly the Droid should be able to save it onto cache and then transfer it onto internal memory or the microSD... That's a good question. I think there is a possibility that it would help in that situation so as long as the camera portion of the phone is more camera than phone.

10. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

I have a class 6 8GB. Ill try it out.

11. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

At one point the specs showed that it was a class 6 16gb. Checking Motorola and Verizon sites now, I do not see it mentioned specifically.

12. jothen2002

jothen2002 New Member

I have no idea of the function of the SD card ..does the droid place all media in the SD,
    should contacts be transferred to the SD card?? DOes the droid place items on storage automatically where it would be best for the function of the device?
    any help where I can get this info?

13. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

It's a class 2. There is no point in upgrading unless your consistently transferring files and not the patient type. Or your the kind of person who needs every little boost possible. Since this will speed up some applications that store data on the sd card, like textures or sounds can be stored there.

14. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Just got my Droid about an hour ago and it states class 2 right on the card. Good enough for me. I have an 8GB class 2 and an 8GB class 4 and I cant see any speed difference between the two...