SD card corruption - please help!

Last Updated:

1. GuitarDemon

GuitarDemon Member This Topic's Starter

I've rooted my phone, reformatted SD card (Kingston brand - not a cheapo one), created EXT3 partition using Rom Manager, and installed the LeeDroid flavour of Froyo.

Everything works perfectly, until I copy the photos (which I took on my Desire before rooting) back to the DCIM folder. I let the phone create this folder by taking a few pictures (I tried previously to create the DCIM folder with the same problem).

Now the SD card will only mount read only, and it appears that a few folders are corrupted on the SD card, as when I'm browsing the folders using Astro, when I pick the DCIM folder, Astro closes instantly.

Can anyone please help me resolve this problem? I'm really starting to wish I hadn't rooted the thing in the first place - I only rooted because I'd run out of phone storage and wanted more apps... and was sick of waiting for Orange to finish screwing with their Froyo release.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i dont think rooting caused this problem.
    I would get a microsd-usb converter and plug it directly into pc as a pen drive and see what you can salvage before formating

3. GuitarDemon

GuitarDemon Member This Topic's Starter

I tried formatting using WinXP PC, but it didn't work properly, as I don't think WinXP would recognise and delete an EXT3 partition. I booted from a GPart disk, and deleted all partitions, and reformatted FAT32, created partition using Rom Manager in phone, and everything worked perfectly until I copied my old data from a backup. I've just been told in a reply in the XDA forum that the SD card is faulty. I can't believe this, as it's the same card I used before I installed Froyo. Strange one, this....

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

can you mount in windows, right click, properties, tools, check for errors?

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but do you know it could always be a glitch in the rom you are using itself.
    This could be caused on download or even on installation, so after you have checked your sd card in your pc if it is ok try reinstalling the rom.

6. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

It's not a myth, I setup A2SD yesterday and it was working fine until last night I started having problems reading the SDcard, I took the card out and put it in my laptop and did a check and sure enough there were a pile of errors, so I got rid of the 512MB ext3/6GB fat32 then repartitoned it back to 8GB fat32 and restored the files I had previously saved onto my PC.

7. Rastaman-FB

could well be the custom rom then, like i said. rooting wouldnt cause this issue

8. sookster54

Using stock rooted Froyo. Nothing custom about it other than it being rooted.

9. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

The errors in the rom may have been caused in the download process, after downloading anything is not always guaranteed to be perfect

10. Rastaman-FB

its not stock rooted froyo tho is it?
    you are using apps2sd which is not included in any stock roms
    Foyos own version of this feature does not require an ext3 partition

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Apps2sd or A2SD is included in ALL stock 2.2 Roms, because that is Google's version.

Apps2SD+ or A2SD+ is not. That is the original and frankly, far superior version, which is included in most Custom roms and installable on any rooted ROM.

12. Rastaman-FB

I know this. I think you are missing the point completely. This issue is not because he rooted the phone. It's because of modifications made to the system once root had been achieved requiring sdcard to have an ext3partision which has resulted in corruption.default froyo apps2sd does not require this nor does there seem to be reports of corruption. This ould suggest its apps2sd+ causing an issue or the ext3 as root only gives you Su

His post gives the impression that rooting a device has negative effects when infact the only thing it does if give the user an ability to do something that "could" have a negative effect.
    That's why I said rooting did not cause this issue

13. sookster54

I didn't say rooting caused the corruption, I specifically said that I installed A2SD (Darktremor), and after that it happened. There's a thread at XDA on this subject, but it hasn't gotten an accurate answer to what causes it. It was working fine for the day but when I went to access files on the Fat32 partition such as music files and pictures, the phone was unable to read them, then when I did a partition check on my Linux laptop it said several errors were there, it's a stock SDcard that came with the Desire. I picked up a Sandisk 8GB. And I said I'm using teppic74's stock rooted Froyo, no modifcations to it other than root.

14. Rastaman-FB

You are not the op, the ops post can be interpreted as root causing the problemsas he wishes he had never rooted. Why would I be talking about you when you already found the issue and fixed it?