• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card, CPU Usage and Battery Life

normau

Lurker
Dec 14, 2009
Hi All,

When my SD card is mounted in my Magic, the CPU usage is very high (90%+), the battery is very warm (34 degrees +) and it drains the battery very quickly (dead in 10 hrs with very min use).

When the SD card is unmounted or removed, the CPU usage drops to 10% or below, the phone is cool and the battery lasts very long.

Does anyone know the reason behind this and how it can be resolved?

I've reformatted the SD card and removed some of the media files not supported by my Magic but still have this issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Norman

When I say minimal usage, I mean 5-10 min of calls and less then ten text messages, all radios off, screen brightness at 30%...essentially everything possible to reduce power consumption.

With the SD card unmounted, performance of all aps, games, phone, etc is really fast. With nothing running, CPU usage is between 4-9% and after 6 hrs of minimal use, battery life is still 90+%.

Perhaps there is something on my SD card causing the CPU to run at 90%+. The only way to find out is trial and error.

Just curious...for other Magic users, does the CPU usage really drop when you unmount the SD card?

Upvote 0
I'm using System Monitor to check on CPU usage.

I found the offending files on my SD card. It was a bunch of videos (96 files, 290 MB) I took with my old Windows Mobile phone which I transferred to the new phone SD card. I'm not sure why the phone kept on trying to access these files but once I removed all of them, the CPU activity dropped to between 4-9%, the phone was noticeably quicker, battery cooler and of course, no issue with batter life.

Thank you for your input.
Norman

Upvote 0
Just an update...with about 10-15 min of calls a day, 5-10 sms, all radios turned off unless needed, screen brightness at 50% and playing games for about 30-45 min a day, I can end the day with about 75-80% charge left in the battery.

Since battery life is no longer an issue, I'm using more Widgets (my Magic has been updated with HTC Sense UI).

Battery life is finally meeting my expectations. I really enjoy the Magic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones