• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Damaged

lihimsidhe

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
I'm seeking to get to the root of my problem: SD Card Damages.

I've owned two Android devices thus far: Motorlola Droid 2 with a 8GB external (in storage) and Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 with a 30GB external (in use and rooted).

I always disconnect my device properly. However, most of the times I read a 'SD Card Damaged' error is when booting the device up or waking it up from sleep mode.

I've downloaded 'SDFormatter' but the problem keeps persisting. I don't do anything crazy with my devices. The only thing 'out of the ordinary' I do is drag and drop my media files from my labtop to directories on the device. But honestly, that's the whole reason I picked the Android camp over the iPlatform.

So now that I said all that, does anyone else have the same problems?

Is there any way to fix this for good?

I really love Android but honestly, I never hear any of my iPod/iPhone counterparts complain about this issue. I just may have to switch sides. :(

have you tried another card in the device? if it works, it's the card thats faulty. If it doesn't work, it's the device itself.

Also, Have you used the card in various devices without formatting it in the new device first? this can lead to read errors later on in the cards life, i see it at work all the time. Always format it in the device you want to use it in.

Also, buy good brand cards (not the cheapest you can find), sandisk, samsung, mine have never failed.

hope this helps
marcel

Upvote 0
If you're using a windows XP, or 7, computer, you should be aware that hard drive caching (delayed write) is turned on by default. This makes windows appear to operate faster because disk writes are delayed until the system has more "free" time to finish the write operation.

I've seen corruption caused by removing external drives (usb, sd cards, etc.) too soon. The user thinks the disk operation is finished, and therefore removes the card before the write operation has actually finished.

You can turn off disk caching by going into Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Disk Drives/ and select the drive. Then click Properties, and the Policies tab. UNCHECK disk caching, and click OK. Now all your drive operations will happen in real time with no delay.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones