• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "SD Card" for the Galaxy Nexus

Upvote 0
Yeah that makes sense. Honestly i can't give you a 100% answer on that because i'm actually still trying to figure that out myself. ICS doesn't use Mass Storage. So when you plug your phone up a "fake sd card" or any other mass storage device doesn't show up. Also i'm trying to figure out when you do a factory reset what gets wiped and what doesn't I think there is a mod that you have to do in order to make a partition that can't be wiped.

Upvote 0
Yeah that makes sense. Honestly i can't give you a 100% answer on that because i'm actually still trying to figure that out myself. ICS doesn't use Mass Storage. So when you plug your phone up a "fake sd card" or any other mass storage device doesn't show up. Also i'm trying to figure out when you do a factory reset what gets wiped and what doesn't I think there is a mod that you have to do in order to make a partition that can't be wiped.
Umm, it is in the same location /mnt/sdcard. The top level folder sdcard looks like a virtual folder for /mnt/sdcard. It is where apps install their files that want to use external memory. I just copy a folder that I had on my old phone into that space.

Upvote 0
Umm, it is in the same location /mnt/sdcard. The top level folder sdcard looks like a virtual folder for /mnt/sdcard. It is where apps install their files that want to use external memory. I just copy a folder that I had on my old phone into that space.

This.

A transfer method doesn't answer the directory as seen by the phone. So if data used to be on an SD card, just MTP the SGN and copy it on over!

Upvote 0
Copied data over from my old Nexus One (About 2 years old..) via. Laptop to new SGN. Linux (Ubuntu..) couldn't see the data [I'll figure out why I hope...] , only camera, but Widows Vista was fine..

Needed to be careful (eg copy CONTENTS OF Music..) etc etc.. but for private directories (eg Maps for Viewranger) just straight copy...

Upvote 0
It has MTP or camera modes but are not the same, not files are listed and there is nothing you can do about it unless you root and install

Massive Storage mode gives you full control of the sdcard partition to your computers, you can use hardware tool which you couldn't use in MTP, like recovering software like Recuva.
This is exactly what I'm looking for -- the ability to recover files from the Galaxy Nexus internal storage using Recuva. I am rooted and installed stickmount, but when I hit "mount" it doesn't seem to do anything. Do you know what I'm doing wrong, Admit?

EDIT: All of the app info I see for stickmount doesn't suggest that it allows for mounting the storage in Windows, rather, it is for connected an external drive to the phone via USB so that the phone can use the additional storage. I'm not sure this applies to using Recuva to recover files from the GNex, but please chime in if I'm wrong, Admit -- my pictures hang in the balance :-(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones