• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] SD card Hack to increase Internal Memory

I just had to let it sit for a few seconds after first boot. And also when I reboot or lose power this hack is undone and I cannot re-apply the hack. I used CWM if that makes a difference.
When I 1st did the hack, it worked, and then after a reboot, it wasn't working
Re-did the hack and had no issues afterwards

Anyway, I just finished wiping / formatting the carbon rom, went back to stock, re-rooted and applied the hack, this time I formatted the card as EXT4 with 51GB and FAT32 with 5GB
Over 300 apps / games installed...no lag using a samsung 64GB PRO (was laggy before while using a standard card)

Upvote 0

Anyway, I just finished wiping / formatting the carbon rom, went back to stock, re-rooted and applied the hack, this time I formatted the card as EXT4 with 51GB and FAT32 with 5GB
Over 300 apps / games installed...no lag using a samsung 64GB PRO (was laggy before while using a standard card)
I have re-formatted the card and re-did the hack. I haven't rebooted yet because last time I re-flashed the zips and I also couldn't remount the SD-Ext.

EDIT- I think its working now! I re-did everything using TWRP instead of CWM and I haven't seen any mounting errors yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksjd0414
Upvote 0
Hey, i've been using this mod for about two days now, and every now and then when I turn the screen off, it will stay black until I take out the battery and restart it. The problem is, every time I turn the phone back on, the mod stops working and the apps that I previously installed disappear. The only way to get it working again is if I go back into TWRP and repartition my SD card, losing my apps and music in the process. Is there a fix for this ? I'm running Carbon Rom if that helps.

Upvote 0
Did you have this issue before you installed this mod? If you did this is also known as the black screen of death. This can be remedied if you disable CRT lock screen animation and increase minimum CPU clock to 500Mhz. Have you tried to remount SD-Ext without reformatting? If you can't remount it, this may be an issue with the way you formatted it. When you reformat do you enable the rm/rf method? I had this same issue, not including the black screen, but when I turned off or lost power I would have to reformat.

Upvote 0
Did you have this issue before you installed this mod? If you did this is also known as the black screen of death. This can be remedied if you disable CRT lock screen animation and increase minimum CPU clock to 500Mhz. Have you tried to remount SD-Ext without reformatting? If you can't remount it, this may be an issue with the way you formatted it. When you reformat do you enable the rm/rf method? I had this same issue, not including the black screen, but when I turned off or lost power I would have to reformat.

Upvote 0
I tried this hack on my LG F6/TWRP with a 32 GB Samsung Evo card. TWRP must've not partitioned the card correctly, so 'mount' failed. On inspecting the card on a Ubuntu system, it showed up as Ext2 partition. So repartitioned/reformatted on the Linux PC, and continued the other steps with TWRP. Everything went smooth, and CarbonRom is up an running smooth. None of the apps I've tried threw up an error, although they feel a little bit slow (barely). Thanks everyone for breathing a new life to this (crippled) phone, now I can install all the apps I want :D

On a related note, I do not believe this hack is specific to LG F6, and can be applied to any device with a SD expansion slot. Can someone confirm?

Reactions: WarrantyVoider
Upvote 0

The problem is, every time I turn the phone back on, the mod stops working and the apps that I previously installed disappear. The only way to get it working again is if I go back into TWRP and repartition my SD card, losing my apps and music in the process. Is there a fix for this ? I'm running Carbon Rom if that helps.

EDIT- This mod stopped working again. I can't remount SD-ext. Worked for a while though.
Are you all using KK-based roms? Did you all install the hack using TWRP 2.8? How did you partition the card? Based on @Raptor_Jesus's info, perhaps TWRP's partitioning function is unreliable.

Upvote 0
I tried this hack on my LG F6/TWRP with a 32 GB Samsung Evo card. TWRP must've not partitioned the card correctly, so 'mount' failed. On inspecting the card on a Ubuntu system, it showed up as Ext2 partition. So repartitioned/reformatted on the Linux PC, and continued the other steps with TWRP. Everything went smooth, and CarbonRom is up an running smooth. None of the apps I've tried threw up an error, although they feel a little bit slow (barely). Thanks everyone for breathing a new life to this (crippled) phone, now I can install all the apps I want :D

On a related note, I do not believe this hack is specific to LG F6, and can be applied to any device with a SD expansion slot. Can someone confirm?
EVO's writing performance is better than the internal storage, but the reading performance is worse. So theoretically, apps might seem a bit slower since they likely spend more time reading than writing. Apps that write a lot (say, browser caching lots of small files) might see a speed boost. SanDisk's and Samsung's high-end cards should have much better performance, but they are relatively expensive for this low-priced phone.

The idea behind this hack should be applicable to other devices. For a longer answer, see http://androidforums.com/threads/pr...ge-solution-on-f6.819792/page-14#post-6776726 .

Reactions: Raptor_Jesus
Upvote 0
IF INSTALLING FRESH ROM BOOT INTO ROM BEFORE DOING THIS HACK SO THAT DATA CAN SETUP ON YOUR INTERNAL MEMORY. THIS HAS TO BE DONE. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT BOOTING INTO ROM FIRST.

Hi, I just got the phone and would like to replace the stock rom with Xperion. To do this hack, shall I get the Xperion installed first?
Thanks,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones