• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card HELL

Shabazz

Lurker
Jul 18, 2012
Okay, couldn't find anything lurking so I made an account to ask. (Hi, first of all).

I recently bought an Alcatel Venture (shitty phone, I know, it's all good). It's my first smartphone, and so far everything's pretty cool. Except for the SD card.

My problem started when I plugged my phone into the computer. The phone registered the usb, but the computer didn't. So I gave up on that, and then I got a notification on the phone saying "Blank SD card: SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem." I went into the settings and saw that the card wasn't mounted, so I tried mounting it, but had to format it first. And here's the problem: Formatting the SD card is taking hours. Like, more hours than my phone has battery life. It also freezes the OS, occasionally just turns the phone off, and does other weird stuff when it tries erasing.

So... does formatting usually take this long? Do I have a bad card? Any help appreciated.

If you have a microSD to regular SD adapter, you could try putting it in a card reader of some sort and format it to FAT32. Because if it fails there, your card is definitely borked. And going by the fact that its taking a large amount of time to format the card, I'm willing to bet it is. Just that the PC will rule out the phone being the issue.

Also if possible, you could always try to buy a new card and see if that works.

Reactions: Shabazz
Upvote 0
I support what Demache stated. Generally, if anything takes over 10-15 minutes to complete in Android, something has gone wrong. But of course there are exceptions, but its a general rule of thumb. microSDs are not expensive, so chuck is a $20 16GB and see whats up. It could also be the software on your phone that is failing at formatting it. there may be something in the app store that can fix that? Good luck :)

Reactions: Shabazz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones