SD card help please.

Last Updated:

1. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been having alot of issues with the Hero and therefore am unsur whether this is an SD card issue or handset. Anyway...

Basically when i put my SD card in the phone can access all of the files for a while. However after a bit the Audio player ceases to work and a message comes up saying, "Sorry, audio player does not support this type of file" (or words to that effect). Additionally the phones ASTRO reader stops working, and picsay wont save to SD card.

I dont know also whether it could be because i am using Advanced Task Killer and maybe killing something i shouldnt?

Another thing to consider is that i recently upgraded from 2gb memory card (no issues) to this 8gb. When i did this i copied absolutely everything off 2gb including files i didnt know purpose of HTC related. Has this caused issue?

Any help would be most appreciated as this is a really frustrating issue and i dont know what to do!

Adam

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Try copying the contents of the card to your PC, format the card in the handset, then copy everything back to the memory card. Might be a corrupt fs or bad cluster on the card causing the problem.

3. adam_hilluk

Cheers i'll definitely try this. Just how do I format it on phone?

[edit]

ooh i found it after having a little play about.

Settings > SD Card > unmount

then options change and i clicked "Format SD card"

That what you meant?

4. adam_hilluk

The format didnt work :(

any other ideas?

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The other obvious suggestion is a faulty card - do you have a card reader for your PC, to let you use it for a while to see if the problem exists there too?

6. adam_hilluk

well i haven't got that. However i hav tried using my old sd card in the phone since last post yesterday.... and no problems.

Therefore it must surely be the card?

i thought it was too obvious but that appears to be the issue.

7. Angelite

Angelite New Member

I was having this problem a lot with two memory cards, googled it and people were suggesting it was a problem with some Sandisk cards. I've got a (third) non-branded SD card now and so far it's been working fine.

8. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

I always try to buy memory cards from 'reputable' sellers. If you buy them from ebay etc there's a very good chance that theyre fakes, and often as not it's actually (say) an 8GB card bodged to look like a 16GB one. The card appears to work fine until you get past that 8GB limit then things start to go wrong, often in weird ways (i.e. you dont get error messages when writing, just corruption of the existing data on the card).