• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card HELP!!! (please)

I'm in need of some help. I can't get my esteem to read my music-videos-pics from my external sd card. I would like to keep them on my external sd and not the internal sd. I'm a non rooted user

Does your phone's notification message say, "scanning media files.." for a good while? In that case, I had that problem too and it was frustrating because I couldn't read media files so I formatted my sd card on my computer and inserted it back and it got fixed. If that isn't it, then perhaps re-boot the phone manually, otherwise I'm blank but it's worth the shot :)

Reactions: AndroindNoob
Upvote 0
Does your phone's notification message say, "scanning media files.." for a good while? In that case, I had that problem too and it was frustrating because I couldn't read media files so I formatted my sd card on my computer and inserted it back and it got fixed. If that isn't it, then perhaps re-boot the phone manually, otherwise I'm blank but it's worth the shot :)

When my card is in it scans for a few seconds not sure how long. But I just got my 32gb in the mail so after I copy stuff we'll see.

Upvote 0
I just did a test with my newly arrived 32gb card. I only tested music but IT WORKED!!! What I did was made a folder with the name "My_Music"...the same folder the internal sd makes. So my guess is if we format or sd cards and make folders with the same names the internal has, it will read all media. Ill report back with findings on my pics and videos

Upvote 0
This might seem a stupid question, but I switched out the 4gb sd card that came with phone, and put in a 16gb. So what is the difference between internal and external sd card. the phone tells me I have the new sd card, but it wont let me copy anything to it, so how do I make it usable. it still says it has nothing on it.
I want to copy my contacts to it?/
Am I making any sense at all???:thinking:

Upvote 0
This might seem a stupid question, but I switched out the 4gb sd card that came with phone, and put in a 16gb. So what is the difference between internal and external sd card. the phone tells me I have the new sd card, but it wont let me copy anything to it, so how do I make it usable. it still says it has nothing on it.
I want to copy my contacts to it?/
Am I making any sense at all???:thinking:

for ur contact just sync them to ur gmail thats better

Upvote 0
I dont wanna hijack this thread but I just got my esteem yesterday after having a rooted and rom'd OM. When I put my sd card from the OM in the esteem it says it damaged and needs format so I do and it does the same... Could it be the 2 partions on the SD card

Its the partitions. Did the same thing to me. You have to unpartition it. I used Minitool on my pc

Upvote 0
I dont wanna hijack this thread but I just got my esteem yesterday after having a rooted and rom'd OM. When I put my sd card from the OM in the esteem it says it damaged and needs format so I do and it does the same... Could it be the 2 partions on the SD card

I got the same thing and I believe it is due to the two partitions. I just copied my data over with Bluetooth and was done with it.

As for the OP and other people having problems, have you gone into Settings > SD Card and Phone Storage and mounted the external SD? You may have to manually mount it if the OS doesn't do it.

Edit: Sorry Shiny you got to it while I was posting lol

Upvote 0
Thanks , I ill do that, but can you explain to the uninformed( ME) the difference between internal and external sd card. If there is only 1 card in the phone,why does it sate it is external???
I want to root my phone, but if I don't even get this, then I have no hope!!!
I have been reading and re reading all the instructions, and I am scared to death!

The external is your physical sd card. The internal is a "fake sd card" which is just memory set aside to be used just as you would a physical sd card

Upvote 0
My setting say the external card is mounted, but has nothing on it, How do I put things on there, I am unrooted as too scared yet.

In Astro or any file manager go to /mnt/sdcard (default in Astro). This by default is your internal storage and everything listed here is stored on the phone. In this folder there should be another called _ExternalSD which is the gateway to the external SD card. Anything you want to copy externally just copy/move to this folder.

And don't be scared, you have an awesome team here that'll guide you and offer tons of help with anything you're having trouble with. If you don't want to root, no one's pressuring you to.

Reactions: bsquirrell
Upvote 0
I did it in about 30 minutes last night out of boredom. Different process than my OM but still simple. Download the CWR to your computer, plug the phone into USB in internet mode and be sure all the drivers are installed, run the .bat file in the CWR download, eat cake while you're waiting, then PROFIT! It's not a complicated process.

The step by step guide to rooting and flashing is your best option

Upvote 0
I too was nervous to do because the terminology appeared out of this world to me. after i did it, i thought, what was i so worried about. but then again, i learn quicker by doing something rather than by just reading.

Dont be scared to root it. But remember, back up your phone using ClockWorkMod BEFORE you start deleting/uninstalling, flashing, ect.. That'll help out a lot.

Upvote 0
I've been having problems with the SD card since yesterday, I tried mounting it through settings and through recovery . I formatted it with my pc and phone and still doesn't want to mount . I just bought a 16 gig yesterday as well, I have like six cards and none want to mount, can anyone help me please ? I'm getting aggravated . my internal SD is full, does that affect the external SD by any chance ?

~fixed it, I was right, apparently a full internal memory affects the mounting of the external

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones