SD card hosed?Support

Last Updated:

1. turbonator

turbonator New Member This Topic's Starter

Upon starting up it says SD Card damaged. I tried to format it both on the Droid and using my PC but nothing happens. Luckily, I was able to copy most of the files off it except for DCIM folder, so I'm assuming the camera app might have caused the problem. Anything else I can try? If I take it back to the Verizon store where I bought it, will they just give me a new card?

Another problem, I've got personal files on there and now I can't seem to erase/wipe them either yet they remain readable using a PC. How do I get rid of these before exchanging the card?

Advertisement
  2. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never had a problem using the native windows formater.

4. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Just happened on mine the other day too. I unplugged usb while saving something to phone :eek:, but formatting the sd with my phone worked fine, what happened with yours?

5. turbonator

turbonator New Member This Topic's Starter

The card cannot be formatted. Tried formatting using Droid, Windows, and the SD Formatter program. All unsucessful. I am going to take it back.

6. canhead64

canhead64 Guest

try using command prompt to completely wipe the card, then use the command prompt to format it. once u try and format the card, it will fail, but then u can format it the regular way.

did this with a usb stick i was trying to install windows 7 from. its a pain in the ass, but it works.

i will look for instructions, give me a sec

p.s. when u do this it might help if u have ur card inserted into the memory card slot on ur pc. or thats how i did it anyway

7. canhead64

canhead64 Guest

1. Plug-in your USB flash drive to USB port and move all the contents from USB drive to a safe location on your system.
    2. Open Command Prompt with admin rights. Use any of the below methods to open Command Prompt with admin rights.
    *Type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter.
    Or
    *Go to Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    3. You need to know about the USB drive a little bit. Type in the following commands in the command prompt:
    First type DISKPART and hit enter to see the below message.

Next type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number (ex: Disk 1) of your USB flash drive. In the below screenshot my Flash Drive Disk no is Disk 1.
    4. Next type all the below commands one by one. Here I assume that your disk drive no is “Disk 1”.If you have Disk 2 as your USB flash drive then use Disk 2.Refer the above step to confirm it.
    So below are the commands you need to type and execute one by one:
    SELECT DISK 1
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    SELECT PARTITION 1
    ACTIVE
    FORMAT FS=NTFS
    (Format process may take few seconds)
    ASSIGN
    EXIT