SD card is full, cannot be readGeneral

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

My wife's S4 said the SD card was "damaged." I put it the computer and it is full, 100% and cannot be read. Any suggestions on how to get her pictures pback? Thanks in advance for your help

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Put it in the computer. Run ZAR Data Recovery Software on it. If there's anything left on it, that'll recover it. (The program isn't free, but using it to recover photos is.)

Then format the card. If there's a problem, throw it into a paper shredder (seriously - damaged cards can be read), If it formats, put it back in the phone, boot into recovery and format it in the phone. Again - any problem, shred it.

If it formats in the phone she can keep using it, but I'd make sure there's always a backup of everything on it.

In the future, buy SanDisk cards and don't look for bargains - they're usually counterfeits. A few bucks, yes, but a 64GB Extreme for $40?
  3. rcyphermd

Thank you I will try it. It is a sandisk card
  4. rcyphermd

I tried the Zar program. It recovered some photos, but many are split in half with half the photo grayed out. suggestions?
  5. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

How about dos chkdsk /F command
  6. rcyphermd

Sorry, but how do i do that?
  7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Not to contradict Rukbat, but several folks have had issues with SanDisk Cards, myself included. I would recommend a Samsung Pro card, whichever size is correct for you. I have not heard any issues with the Samsung Cards. Evidently, there are some SanDisk cards that don't play well with Samsung equipment.