General SD card is full, cannot be read

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rcyphermd, Jan 19, 2014.

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    My wife's S4 said the SD card was "damaged." I put it the computer and it is full, 100% and cannot be read. Any suggestions on how to get her pictures pback? Thanks in advance for your help

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Put it in the computer. Run ZAR Data Recovery Software on it. If there's anything left on it, that'll recover it. (The program isn't free, but using it to recover photos is.)

Then format the card. If there's a problem, throw it into a paper shredder (seriously - damaged cards can be read), If it formats, put it back in the phone, boot into recovery and format it in the phone. Again - any problem, shred it.

If it formats in the phone she can keep using it, but I'd make sure there's always a backup of everything on it.

In the future, buy SanDisk cards and don't look for bargains - they're usually counterfeits. A few bucks, yes, but a 64GB Extreme for $40?

3. rcyphermd

Oct 14, 2009
    Thank you I will try it. It is a sandisk card

4. rcyphermd

Oct 14, 2009
    I tried the Zar program. It recovered some photos, but many are split in half with half the photo grayed out. suggestions?

5. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    How about dos chkdsk /F command

6. rcyphermd

Oct 14, 2009
    Sorry, but how do i do that?

7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Not to contradict Rukbat, but several folks have had issues with SanDisk Cards, myself included. I would recommend a Samsung Pro card, whichever size is correct for you. I have not heard any issues with the Samsung Cards. Evidently, there are some SanDisk cards that don't play well with Samsung equipment.