"SD Card Mounted READ ONLY" alert -- Post FroyoSupport

Last Updated:

1. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator This Topic's Starter

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/141627-sd-card-mounted-readonly-after-2-2-update.html

as seen above in the desire forum, im having this issue. it just occurred today.

i have a 16GB Sandisk, stock and unrooted. i move about 4 apps to SD card (out of the 30 ish apps i have, only 4 were available to be moved to SD).

post here if you have seen this and:

if your rooted
    how many apps on SD card if any
    size of card and if this happened pre or post froyo.
    if you installed the leaked version of froyo and/or deleted it.

here is a thread on the HTC forum...

Micro SD card mounted as Read Only? - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Android Forums - HTC Community

seems all of us having this issue posted today or within a day or so.. so it seems like it may be Froyo related... maybe installing certain apps to card and /or having auto updates checked maybe the cause.... *shrugs*

Advertisement
  2. Tigrisan

Tigrisan Member

Well, I started having this problem today, after the Froyo update and the first time since the update that I moved something to the phone from the laptop with the USB cable.

I took the 16G SanDisk card out of my EVO, put it in an adapter and plugged it into my WindowsXP laptop, backed up everything on the card then reformatted the card while still plugged in. Moved 90% of the backup back onto the card, put it in my EVO and voila! Works fine. I did notice though that I had less than a G left on the card when all of this started. I don't know, but I'm wondering if the amount of free space affects this.

I'm too much of an Android novice to help with suggestions, but that's what worked for me.

marctronixx likes this.
  3. marctronixx

it helps!

i realized the other day that i have about 3.5 gb left. i didnt know i had such little space left. maybe you are right in that the low memory may trigger something..

i plan to do what you did right now. i too just noticed this error just today... odd isnt it? :)

4. Tigrisan

Tigrisan Member

I wish there was more info from others having this problem as far as how much room they have left on their card and just what they did when it happened.

Like I said, when I transferred everything back on using the adapter and the laptop, I didn't have any trouble though admittedly, I left off one of the movies so I'd have a bit more room. But over the next week, I'll play with it a bit more and see what happens, what it takes to recreate it.

I do think it's got something to do with Froyo though. Then again, I could be wrong. I often am *sigh*

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. bigr1979

bigr1979 Well-Known Member

I dont know if this helps but my desire was having a similar problem the other night. it was coming up with read only errors and couldnt do anything that wrote to the sd card. i tried restarting the phone, unmounting and remounting the card andd even taking it out as well as battery with no joy. i hooked it up to my mates ubuntu pc to see if i could change permissions but no go.

I was all set to do a format, i plugged the phone into my windows 7 pc as a disk drive to backup the data.... windows rather than connecting normally said that it needed to scan the volume for potential errors so I clicked "ok" and windows fixed whatever the problem was and its been perfect since !!

TMYINC, marctronixx and EarlyMon like this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

7. marctronixx

what i ended up doing was just backing up data on the ltop, format the card in the ltop, put it back in the evo, format, then i loaded apps up from ltop to phone in mass storage mode. i was getting CRC errors by doing that on some folders, so i took the card out put it in the ltop and continued to add apps that way.

this was last night and this AM no SD errors thus far.

i DID the froyo fix that EarlyMon started and i have not yet put apps on SD card that are compatible with moving to sd card so i plan to do that at some point today and monitor.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

Ran into this problem just now. Will try reformatting later tonight. Basically never had this problem before but it started showing up after I filled my 8gb card up until I had 500gb left. The last three files are large and its only when I try to open them tbat I get this error otherwise everything else is working fine. I think maybe it has something to do with how much of the card space is used?

9. marctronixx

i think your on to something trace! i did this and have not had the issue since.

i also did the "fix froyo" step and i think the evo i use it happier now...

10. Tigrisan

Tigrisan Member

I think that's got to be it. When you hit a certain level on the SD card, it starts giving that message. I left more room on mine this time, like I said, and haven't had a problem with it since. I've been working all week though and haven't had a chance to test the theory.

Seems like those who put enough info in as to what's going on when it happens have all said the same thing, they have little to no room left on the card when it happens.

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

Just a heads up, there was some considerable debate in June about which way to format the SD card.

One guy strongly and vehemently and in no uncertain terms insisted that the phone's format be used as it created the expected hierarchy for the card - and that for larger cards, it was the only way to go.

I'm not expert in SD cards by any stretch of the imagination - so I'm just tossing that out, as said, as a heads-up.

marctronixx likes this.
  12. marctronixx

yes im an old school windows guy and i always did the format in the handset. its an easy thing to do re: format in the device.. if that makes mr. Evo happy, then who am i to interfere? :D

Connectz and EarlyMon like this.
  13. Tigrisan

Tigrisan Member

Hmmm...I guess I never thought about it. I just did mine with the card adapter in the laptop and so far, I haven't had any problems at all. Doesn't mean I won't. Just that I haven't.

14. EarlyMon

I didn't have any trouble that way either, but after hearing that dogs would sleep with cats and rain would rise from the ground to sky, I decided to play it safe and go with the handset format.

I've also read that Windows formatting can degrade lifetime, per this:

Format an SD Card the Easy Way

marctronixx likes this.
  15. marctronixx

so like clockwork yesterday (saturday 14 august 2010) around 1'ish i saw this card error again. this time when i would click on the SD card error in the notifications tab so it would try and resolve the issue, it would immediately spit the error back.

the difference between this and the behavior i saw a week ago to the day was that once i clicked on that notification, it would seem to work for a bit before the error popped up.. now it just stayed there..

i could not access any videos or photos but could look into the folders and saw the folders.. just obviously could not do any editing since it was in read only...

i took the card out of the handset, copied it to the ltop, formatted in the ltop and copied BACK over the contents. i didnt format it in the evo, just kept it in the ltop.

have not seen the error thus far and i have 10gb's left on the Sd card (16 gb sandisk)

EarlyMon likes this.
  16. EarlyMon

WTF, bra'?

Keep us posted - this one is just bugging me to no end.

The PC Synchronization service obviously needs to running unabated in order for the SD card to be recognized by a d/ltop. If you think to, if the problem recurs, kindly check and make sure that's running. I've not seen your problem associated with that observable, but my thinking is if you're doing nothing to PC Sync and one failure associates with the other, maybe we can light a few Camels and see if we can find a cause.

Do you use aLogcat? You can pause it and mail yourself system logs - could be helpful (I think you do, I think we've posted on that together before, but I often suffer from CFR so I thought it best to ask).

marctronixx likes this.
  17. marctronixx

good post!

yeah i used/use aLogcat especially on my pro2 but a time or two on the evo...

interesting bugger indeed. it could be the card is starting to show signs of failure like the hard drive "click" when the heads hit the stop.. but i digress...

appreciate the feedback...

18. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

I've been having the same issues. I just reformatted my 16gb card via the phone and am about to copy some of my pictures and music back to the card. Hopefully all goes well and this problem will not happen again.

marctronixx likes this.
  19. marctronixx

lets hope bro.. i mean all was well during the week but then on Saturday at almost around the same time this happened again.. that was weird.. this time i jsut formatted in the ltop and not the phone to see if that would make a difference...

20. scrface

scrface Well-Known Member

I have a16gb sandisk....i was setting here trying to stream a vid that wouldn't so I restated the phone. WHEN everything loaded it tries to prepare sim card and then says sd card is mounted as read only. Anybody know how to fix this?

21. marctronixx

its not your sim card rather its your SD card is preparing.

smoke this thread over. i had it happen to me two separate times. both times required a reformat. the first time i reformatted in the handset, this second time i formatted it in the computer (im running old school XP) and over a week its been solid.

22. scrface

Yea sim card was a typo...so how do I copy sd card to laptop? Just hook phone up via usb and copy folder over or do I need top back it up a certain way

23. marctronixx

yeah there are steps earlier in this thread on what others did..

but yeah put the sd card into your computer, copy the files.. format the card, copy the files back over.. put card in the handset.. you are good to go...

24. scrface

Put sd card in computer? I can't just hook the phone up to laptop with usb? How would you even put just the sd card in the laptop

25. marctronixx

most computers have SD slots. if you do not have such a slot nor have any access to a machine that does, then you would have to connect your handset to the machine. this is slow over USB . also if the cable becomes detached from the handset or the machine you lose your sync..

more variables come into play when you do it this way but yes you can connect via usb.

is your card nearly full? how much storage space do you have left on it?