• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Mounted ReadOnly After 2.2 Update

What you need to do is un-mount the card properly

I often get "Can't stop this device, try later"... going to try EjectUSB

PS I booted into recovery (on rooted phone), mounted USB, then in Windows XP right clicked on the drive, properties, tools, check now, tick 'automatically fix file system errors'. Windows said it couldn't finish checking, but when I rebooted the phone, the SDcard was no longer read-only.

Upvote 0
I often get "Can't stop this device, try later"... going to try EjectUSB

PS I booted into recovery (on rooted phone), mounted USB, then in Windows XP right clicked on the drive, properties, tools, check now, tick 'automatically fix file system errors'. Windows said it couldn't finish checking, but when I rebooted the phone, the SDcard was no longer read-only.

yea sometimes the "can't stop device..." etc pain is well the biggest annoying pain going...

usually just takes either you MANUALLY pulling the notification bar down on the phone and changing 'use as disk drive' to 'charge only' and then windows SHOULD in theory let it un-mount...

though sometimes you HAVE to pull :( no two ways bout it...

As to the windows couldn't finish checking when you hit fix file...thats because the card is IN USE in your phone while its mounted, it can only be finished when you reboot windows and it does the checking/fixing before windows fully boots up..

Otherwise, remove the memory card from the phone and just do the find/fix thing with the memory card in a reader WITHOUT needing to reboot windows etc...works fine then.

Reactions: tobydjones
Upvote 0
Only win 7 does the find and fix afaik.

Xp doesn't need you to safely remove but 2000 and earlier does :)

vista does the find and fix as well....it comes up on my memory card right now...I just cant be bothered to find and fix RIGHT now lol I also believe its in XP as well..

OH and dan, you should know of all people that its ALWAYS more safer with cards to 'un-mount' and remove rather than just pull.....and btw Xp ISN'T that great with just pulling cards, my mother has had that 'find and fix' thing come up another of times after just pulling..

Upvote 0
You're right, "do you want to scan and fix" was available in vista. Its been so long since I used that version (it was pretty shocking, all be it pretty). Although I'm pretty sure it was a newly introduced feature that wasn't in XP. Although you can of course do it manually.

You should be using android to unmount the card really, not windows. Thats for data integrity. I never unmount anything in windows. USB hardrives or flash drives.

The safely remove option MUST be used if you are in the middle of transfering data as it is this that causes FS damage. This tells the system to stop transfering data. However, XP onwards is designed with a device that supports safely remove, to disable write caching so no write caching takes place when data is not being transfered.

Upvote 0
You should be using android to unmount the card really, not windows. Thats for data integrity. I never unmount anything in windows. USB hardrives or flash drives.

The safely remove option MUST be used if you are in the middle of transfering data as it is this that causes FS damage. This tells the system to stop transfering data. However, XP onwards is designed with a device that supports safely remove, to disable write caching so no write caching takes place when data is not being transfered.

well all I know is, using the android method doesnt ALWAYS unmount from windows perfect everytime...BUT the safely remove option never fails.....unplug with neither option and you will have occasional issues with the memory cards which pop up the find and fix issue....which CAN lead further down the line to read only issues on the phone itself....

saying that, I think I SHOULD find and fix my card save me having that issue later maybe lol as my card bleats bout "find an fix...find an fix...find..." you get the idea lol everytime I plug in the computer lol

Upvote 0
I'm fairly confident that the problem was the Dolphin HD browser. Everyone I have spoken with had this app and it was set to cache to SD card.

I got a USB SD card reader so I could put just the SD card into my PC. I found corrupted data/sectors in the Dolphin cache each time. Once I set the browser NOT to cache to the SD card I have not had the problem since.

I had tried three different SD cards and each one had the same problem so I am sure it is not the card.

As far as I am concerned this issue is solved. I have been problem free since February and this was a weekly or bi-weekly problem for me.

Jim

Reactions: tobydjones
Upvote 0
moving house today and this is the last hour of wifi i'll have - no internet in the new place yet - so apologies if a solution has already been found, but i don't have time to read the full thread!

I'm on a stock un-rooted Desire running 2.2 with launcher pro - only had this problem recently since using Spotify Premium on my phone. I get the 'Unexpected error with SD Card... tap here' notification, and the Spotify app stops working, gets very glitchy, phone often becomes buggy and needs a full restart. Or the Spotify app just says 'SD card mounted read only' and won't play any offline tracks at all. Makes Spotify unusable on my phone, and usually wipes all of the cached offline tracks it's taken me HOURS to synch.

Exiting spotify normally causes the phone to re-mount the card with no problems - every other app and function works fine! Can still install to SD, copy files onto it, play saved tracks with the HTC player etc.

Have fully re-formatted the card a couple of times via the PC, with the phone attached as a disk drive, which seems to fix the problem temporarily. Normally the problem then recurs within a week. I've never had any trouble with the card except with Spotify - reformatting has been no trouble.

Anyone get anywhere with this yet?

edit: card is a Transcend 16gb class 6

Upvote 0
Had a variant of this myself last night, after an unresponsive test ROM, an impatient battery pull when it wouldn't shut down, a corrupt nandroid (which I had validated 30 minutes earlier)... Got everything back together in the end, but only after I realised that various problems were due to the card only mounting read-only. Easy enough to work around, using root explorer to mount it r/w, but after any unmount or reboot it would remount r/o again.

Anyway, a tip for Mac users: connect the phone via usb, mount the card, fire up the Disk Utility and select "repair". Sorted it in less than a minute.

Reactions: itbedave
Upvote 0
I have the HTC Desire and have the same problem with the read only Sd card. After it says read only, the phone will freeze up and not function properly. I did find every time one folder of music that had changed to bunch of mixed up letters, numbers & signs etc. and each file was 4 to 8 GBs wich wasn't right, it would be over capacity. I could not delete or move this file not even with an unlocker or shreader. This has happened a couple of times, so now I have two cards, I copy all the good files off on my computer, reformat the card, then put the files back on. Everything works fine till the next time. The hard part is finding the corrupted file and the time it takes to copy the contents, they are 32 GB class 10 cards. What I am trying to find out is how do these files become corrupt and why. The original files sit on my computer and nothing happens to them, so its the phone somehow doing something! Not a virus either, scanned for any sign, so whats up?

Upvote 0
I'm fairly confident that the problem was the Dolphin HD browser. Everyone I have spoken with had this app and it was set to cache to SD card.

Damn, I'd completely forgotten about this, was looking at Dolphin's settings recently and enabled 'cache to SD card'. Whaddya know, days later my SD card is corrupt.

I hope I can remember what I did to get back to normal.

Wayhay! Plugged into Windows 7, clicked yes to let windows repair, and I seem to be back up an running :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones