• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sd card mounts as read-only

gurana

Jun 28, 2010
Anytime my phone tries to do anything that might access the SD card, I get a notification that the car encountered an unexpected problem and was mounted as read-only. After a few searches, it seemed that unmounting and reformatting it might solve the problem. If that didn't help, erasing all phone data might fix the problem... Well, I wasn't able to unmount the SD card for some reason. That option wasn't ghosted out, but clicking on it didn't do anything. Eventually, I decided to just do the factory reset... then I did a phone storage format. After that I saw a tip that perhaps removing the card would help. What I did was remove it, booted the phone, and inserted it while it was on. This allowed me to unmount then format the SD card.

The first thing I did was try to redownload some apps from the market. First on my list was google maps update. Immediately after clicking to download, i get the same notification that the SD card was mounted as read only as a result of an unexpected error.

Given all this, is my card just junk after updating to froyo? Is there something else I can try?

I would try mounting the card in a computer via a usb or sd reader, and format it there.

Note that the only way the phone will format the SD card is if you explicitly tell it to do so from the settings-sd card menu (format sd card), and the card would need to be unmounted. This is by design, as the point of the SD card is to have a place to store your stuff that the phone does not control.

Upvote 0
I would try mounting the card in a computer via a usb or sd reader, and format it there.

Note that the only way the phone will format the SD card is if you explicitly tell it to do so from the settings-sd card menu (format sd card), and the card would need to be unmounted. This is by design, as the point of the SD card is to have a place to store your stuff that the phone does not control.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have an adapter for micro sd. I was eventually able to get the phone to actually do something when selecting "unmount" from the settings and then selecting format. Seemed I was able to wipe the card, but the underlying issue, what ever it was, was not resolved. Still getting error that "card was mounted as read-only due to error".

Eventually, I got my wife's old 8gb microsd from her old BB Storm (I was using the one from my old storm), popped it in, formatted it, and it seems to be working fine now. I initially had issues of accessing it from my PC, but wasn't having read-only errors on the phone. Now, it seems to be working properly for the time being.

Upvote 0
The EXACT same situation has happened to me! Right down to using the 8GB SD card from my BB Storm (because Verizon was too cheap to put in a card larger than 2GB...). I have a stock DInc with the OTA 2.2 update. I have had the update for maybe a month. I had under a GB of space left, after some overnight podcast downloads. It was working fine this morning and then the 'read-only' SD card errors and phone freeze-ups.

I tried reading the card on my XP laptop and it wouldn't even recognize it. The DInc wouldn't 'Unmount' it for formatting. I finally bit the bullet and formatted it in my Storm. The DInc now mounts it and reads it. But all of my stuff is gone on it.

If you do a search on this, you will see that, over the past three weeks, there are a number of posts about this particular problem with HTC phones (EVO, Desire, etc.). I didn't see any Motorolas listed. This can't be a coincidence, can it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones