• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card not installed

Took my X to a corp store recently because when connected to my PC via the USB cable, I got "Memory card is missing". The VZW tech worked on it and when I got home, I still got the same message. I emailed the tech and she said call *611 and they will send you a new card as I have made a notation in your account.

Got the new memory card yesterday. Followed the instructions on the card package(includes a card reader btw) and...I still get the same message.

Taking my X and the new card back to the corp. store soon.

Upvote 0
Took my X to a corp store recently because when connected to my PC via the USB cable, I got "Memory card is missing". The VZW tech worked on it and when I got home, I still got the same message. I emailed the tech and she said call *611 and they will send you a new card as I have made a notation in your account.

Got the new memory card yesterday. Followed the instructions on the card package(includes a card reader btw) and...I still get the same message.

Taking my X and the new card back to the corp. store soon.

Have you tried going to your notification bar (on your phone) and selecting "USB Mass Storage" while it's plugged in to your PC?

Upvote 0
I have had a problem with my phone not recognizing the SD card when I have had it plugged into the PC (the pc always sees it). What i did to fix it was just removed the SD card and re-inserted it....I have had the same problems on other phones and normally that fixes it unless its a hardware issue(bad sd card, or bad sd card reader)

I would say Lightninrod has a bad SD card reader in the phone...take it back to the store and have them give you another one.

Upvote 0

Well done paycer, you beat me to it haha.

To anyone having sd card errors and not being able to mount or format the card on the phone or computer, please take a peak at the thread paycer linked to. I had the same issue and that other thread has all the info you should need to know. If you get a chance please take a minute to complete the poll in that thread and leave a short post about you're card class and brand.

Upvote 0
You may also want to check your USB connection settings when you have it connected to your PC. When you set the connection to "Mass Storage" it will "virtually unmount" the SD card, and the device won't be able to read any info stored on it. You must switch it back to "PC Mode" in order for it to be re-mounted to the device.

Also make sure the card, physically, is seated properly within the slot. When I once pulled the battery, I somehow managed to unhinge it.

Upvote 0
Well done paycer, you beat me to it haha.

To anyone having sd card errors and not being able to mount or format the card on the phone or computer, please take a peak at the thread paycer linked to.
Yeah, I was reading that thread the other night. When I saw this one today, I about spazzed trying to look for it. I only had maybe 15min to do so before I had to leave. Very interesting discovery. I went ahead and tipped it this morning just in case it turns out to be something big. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones