SD Card only showing 200mbGeneral

Last Updated:

1. lespaulist

lespaulist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Everyone,
    I inserted a new 8gb micro sd card loaded with music. The phone kept saying that it was having issues reading the card so I formatted it with the built in android utility. Now, the card is only showing 200mb of total space in android. Anyone know what's going on? I'm new to android so I'm not sure if i am doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Connect your phone to your pc and see what it says in the properties section for storage used and available. If it sees the entire 8gb or close, then i'd so a soft reset/reboot and see if that changes anything. Also when you unmount the sd card it will reprocess itself and might fix the issue as well.

3. lukem

lukem Well-Known Member

Not sure. I put in my 16GB card straight out of my Moto Droid and it works fine. Showing 14.83GB total and 8.45GB Available.

4. lespaulist

Ok, the sd card showed up properly in windows before i formatted it. I've done a soft reset and unmonuted the card and it still shows up as 200mb totalspace under sd crad. Weird.

5. da_knowledge

da_knowledge Active Member

Did your format the card first? If not, backup the music and try to format the card with the phone. See if that helps.

6. lespaulist

Yea,I formatted the card via the device. I'l ltry and format it again on my computer.

7. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

do you have another SD card to test with? maybe something up with your device...

8. lespaulist

Ok, so I htink I figured it out and this may help some others too.

I tried another micro card and it worked fine so I was pretty sure something was up with the 8gb card. I recently purchased a new macbook pro with a sd card slot embeed in the machine. I originally formatted the card with my Macbook and copied my music over to the card. However,it appears that the macbook also created a second partition that was 200mb. That partition was loading in android and the other partian was hidden. Windows was also only seeing the 200mb partition. I then connected the sd card to my pc and downloaded this utility: SD Formatter 3.0 (Beta) for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association

Once I ran a full format the card showed it's full capaicity in my phone.

9. Primate

Primate Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this is the issue but I think you have to format it with a FAT file systems vs NTFS that some systems will use.... Just a Thought.

10. lespaulist

Yea, I selected FAT on the mac but it didn't work. I belive it created another jounled partition.

Now that I have the SD card squared away I am using doubletwist to synce my itunes library to my phone.

11. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Crap, I'm having the same issue as the OP

Edit: Any suggestions for fixing this via my mac? I don't have the PC opt out option

12. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

I will also add that the card is a Transcend 8gb class 6. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

13. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I found a fix for the issue. Not sure anyone cares, but I figured I would throw it up here just in case someone else has an issue.

Snow Leopard by default partitions disks when you format a disk in Disk Utility. So in order to change that, open up Disk Utility, select your already loaded micro SD card, select Partitions, and make sure your drop down menu is changed to the appropriate number. Mine was originally set for 2, so every time I tried formatting my micro SD, it would create 2 partitions. One of them was 200mb and that was the one that kept loading every time I through it in my Incredible. And one other thing, make sure you are formatting for MS-Dos Fat. There are some other options there, so must make sure you select the appropriate format style.

Ok, party on

mightymousehhd4 likes this.