sd card or phone?

Last Updated:

1. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 7, 2009
    When I received my second 2.2 ota yesterday my phone kept freezing after booting up. Tried many battery pulls and same. Did a factory reset, no difference. I remembered reading in another post about reformatting the sd card.
    So, I took phone into verizon and they put an empty sd card into my phone and it worked! So, I erased (formatted) my card while the card was in my phone (quickly, before it froze...settings-->sd card and phone storage-->format sd card).
    Once again, my phone worked great. I reinstalled apps and configured my phone since I factory reset earlier...still everything was working great...the snappiest and most responsive my phone has ever been. Then I put about 6 gigs of pictures and music on my sd card....froze up again.

So...curious if you all think it is a bad sd card or just the phone is jacked up and cant handle the data in the card.
    Also, is reformatting the card on a computer the same as doing what I did while the card was in the phone?
    I am hoping the guy I spoke with at verizon (who owns a droid) has a full sd card in his phone and would be willing to have me put it in my phone to see what happens, that should tell me alot.
    Thanks for any input.

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009

1) The formatting on the phone may be making use of a quick format procedure (don't know, never actually used it).

2) On your computer, with Windows, you have the option to quick or 'full' format your card. I used my AIO card reader and formatted my SDCard after it started giving me issues, and it took 3 attempts to use a full format on it - but since then I have not had a single issue with it.

3) How much free space is reported by the SDCard on your phone?

4) When copying the files over that you did, did you let it sit there after it said it was done copying or did you reboot the phone or anything like that immediately after? It may have gotten corrupted as it was still actually copying even though it said it was done...