• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sd card problem

winnie34

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Hi,

I got my Optimus one not long ago and I bought kingston 8G for it though it would work fine. The phone read the card well and show the memory correct and I can use it pretty good on my phone. The thing later I found out is the phone itself restart after the idle time exceed 1hr which is crazy. The phone works really good until I upgrade my original sd card (samsung 2G which came in with) to Kingston microsd 8G. I don't know where exactly is wrong, and I couldn't return the sd card either since it work fine on both phone and on computer with card reader. If someone got same problem with me, please let me know or help me out!! Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I got my Optimus one not long ago and I bought kingston 8G for it though it would work fine. The phone read the card well and show the memory correct and I can use it pretty good on my phone. The thing later I found out is the phone itself restart after the idle time exceed 1hr which is crazy. The phone works really good until I upgrade my original sd card (samsung 2G which came in with) to Kingston microsd 8G. I don't know where exactly is wrong, and I couldn't return the sd card either since it work fine on both phone and on computer with card reader. If someone got same problem with me, please let me know or help me out!! Thanks in advance.

is a problem that everyone has, you have to wait for the OS upgrade to 2.3

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just discovered that this error is not happening randomly.It occurs when the proximity sensor of the phone is activated and deactivates the screen. To test it, make a phone call and during the phone call put your finger over the proximity sensor. The screen becomes black as it should be, but when you remove your finger and the screen turns back on you will see the message of the removed sd card. This means probably that when the screen is turned off something is also changing to the sd card slot that affects some sd cards. I have tried this with my kingston sd card and have the problem each time i do that, but with the original phone sd card and with some other cards i never had it. I hope that this observation will help to solve the issue.

Upvote 0
I'll awaiting delivery of a sd card - class 6, and will report back after that. but all I know at the moment is that after the phone recently restarting up to 5 times a day, I backed up what I needed from card, mounted as usb, formatted card from laptop, as you would a normall drive, then remounted on phone.

I am now slowly adding the apps I had, and watching its behaviour.

so far, compaired to before, I have had one restart in 5 days.

I sometimes wonder if it is a vibration thing with it. only say this, because everytime I have put into car holster, it restarts while driving. also, if in pocket, and I've run down stairs, again, I get a restart.

so wonder if there is also a fragility to the sd card mount which compounds the problems?

anyway, will see what happens after new card comes.

have to say though, after seeing all these reports of issues around the net, I called LG, and spoke with a tech guy, who was utterly suprised and had heard nothing of probs. all they would say is send the phone back for repair.

I sent them links to these forums after that and got a crap email back, going nowhere near answering my questions.

disappointed with that

Upvote 0
I'll awaiting delivery of a sd card - class 6, and will report back after that. but all I know at the moment is that after the phone recently restarting up to 5 times a day, I backed up what I needed from card, mounted as usb, formatted card from laptop, as you would a normall drive, then remounted on phone.

I am now slowly adding the apps I had, and watching its behaviour.

so far, compaired to before, I have had one restart in 5 days.

I sometimes wonder if it is a vibration thing with it. only say this, because everytime I have put into car holster, it restarts while driving. also, if in pocket, and I've run down stairs, again, I get a restart.

so wonder if there is also a fragility to the sd card mount which compounds the problems?

anyway, will see what happens after new card comes.

have to say though, after seeing all these reports of issues around the net, I called LG, and spoke with a tech guy, who was utterly suprised and had heard nothing of probs. all they would say is send the phone back for repair.

I sent them links to these forums after that and got a crap email back, going nowhere near answering my questions.

disappointed with that

Further to my above post, I recieved the sd card a couple of days later. It has now been 3 weeks of many downloads, app installs, tweaks etc, without a single restart or freeze. It is like a new phone, quicker, stable, all good.

The card I got was a transcend 8gb class 6. got it off ebay for very little, well worth it.

Upvote 0
From doing a little research on the net, it seems that you need a class 6 sd card to avoid the problems.

I got an Optimus one this week, tried my old 4gb SD card, the phone did not want to know. Reverted to the 2gb Samsung supplied with the phone and its fine.

Once the new card is installed, to avoid unreliability I recommend that you uninstall and reinstall any downloaded applications - this is so that if they use the card they are then saved to the new card. Otherwise the data that they may have cached to the sd card will remain only on the old card that you took out !

I am planning to upgrade the 2gb card to say 8gb but I will make sure I follow the above and I am really hoping this will work, cos at present with the supplied 2gb card the phone has settled down and is reliable.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi there. I think this reboot problem after changing sd card, is faced by many OS, not only android. Symbian has it too (on my N8).
Optimus One, which came with Froyo (2.2), has the capability to store apps on the SD. If you have this conditions, more over, so many apps on the SD, and you've just migrate to a bigger capacity, make sure it come from higher class. Micro SD rated from class 2 up to 10. Most mobile phone run fine when paired with 2 GB. But, if you're going higher, first of all, you'll notice some performance degradation (if using class 2). But, the problem went away, if using higher class. My O1 does this too. Installed 16 GB class 2, the restart problem comes in. It's crazy you know. Then, change to 16 GB class 6 (although I prefer to class 10 if it's available), the restart problem doesn't come in at once. Not once. The problem is, the higher the capacity, the slower the performance, if using the same class.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones