SD card problemSupport

Last Updated: 2013-03-30 20:21:46
  1. scarecro98

scarecro98 Member

Hi.

My son has a Samsung Galaxy Y which has a SanDisk 2GB MicroSD fitted. He wanted more storage space so I bought a SanDisk 4GB MicroSDHC card (sorry to be so specific but I don't know whether it helps or not.) When I swapped SD cards and tried to put the apps etc onto the new card it seems to use the internal memory only which clearly means that memory soon runs out and some apps being too big.

Has anybody any idea as to how I can make the phone use the external memory only and bypass the internal? It clearly recognises the new SD card because in settings it shows the extra memory. I have tried installing the App2SD application and followed a Youtube tutorial as someone suggested but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Unfortunately since the ics 4.0 update, apps can no longer be moved to the sd card.

Sd card is only good now for pics/videos etc
  3. scarecro98

scarecro98 Member

Thanks for the swift reply. What SD card will work increase his phone's memory?
  4. DragonSlayer95

Either way, an sd card won't help increase memory for the apps themselves. That solely on the internal memory which can't be expanded.

Size of the memory depends on what they plan on using the card for, if it's for pics and short vids, 4GB should suffice enough.

If like me and download music alot along with flashing roms (root only), I would suggest 16GB or larger.

----------------------------
    There is one way to force the apps onto the sd card, that requires root access and also voids the phones warranty.
  5. scarecro98

scarecro98 Member

Perhaps I'm confusing things. I'm not looking at increasing the memory, just the storage (unless that's the same thing) I do have some apps stored on the 4GB SD card but when I download more apps from Google Play they seem to go straight to the internal storage and not to the SD card and the option of transferring them to the SD card is greyed out. I have downloaded the Link2SD app and when I try to move it using that I get a failure message which reads 'Link2SD could not obtain root access. If you have root access make sure you respond 'Allow' or 'Grant' to the superuser request. Sorry if I'm missing something but if the 2 GB card was in there I am sure it would work. I am trying to increase the phone's storage so my son can store more music on his phone together with the apps.
    Thanks!
  6. DragonSlayer95

Ohhh

Link2sd is a root only app, which judging by, your phone doesn't have root access.

An alternative you could use is app2sd
  7. scarecro98

scarecro98 Member

I tried that and that didn't work either. Do you think it's something to do with one card being micro sd and one being micro sdhc (or something?) The message I get from the Link2SD app is 'Second Partition not found' and it tells me to 'make sure you have 2 partitions on your SD card and both are primary.' However the 'Create Link' and 'Remove Link' choices are both greyed out.
  8. Hyper Jumper

Hyper Jumper New Member

My samsung galaxy y wont turn on it just turned off it wont charge pls help