SD card problems

Last Updated:

1. viperlocc

viperlocc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

HTC Hero, Cyanogen nightly 9/22, uncapped #14

Turned on the phone this morning, and it says that either I have a blank SD card or unsupported file system. I reformatted the card, but it still doesnt work. Even a reboot, take the card out, put back in..etc...

am I doing something wrong? BTW its a 8gb sandisk. everything worked fine for a couple days...but not now.

Advertisement
  2. viperlocc

I think it took a crap on me.

plugged it into the computer, it says i have to format, it cant, and it says 30.6mb, not 8gb....

this blows.

3. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

Did you format the card in FAT32? If so and taking the card out, formatting again and replacing back in your phone does not work, I suggest you call Sandisk customer/technical support. Their number is: 1-866-SANDISK. (726-3475)

4. viperlocc

yep, its formatted for fat32. im calling them now.

5. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

Good luck! Let us know how well they took care of the problem for you. They should replace it free of charge.

6. viperlocc

yep, they said its dead....oh well...

calling walmart for replacement, if they wont do it, sandisk will

they were fast, was never on hold. but it can take 10 to 13 days for them to send me a new one and whatnot.

7. krazeejb

krazeejb Member

I had an SD scare last night. I was charging my phone in my laptop, and left it plugged it and closed the laptop down to go eat. When I brought my phone back, it said "Bad SD card" or something along those lines. I was not happy. I tried rebooting the phone, took the SD card out, nothing. I then put the SD card (with adapter) into my laptop (windows 7) and still nothing. I was, however, able to run a disk scan on it and it found errors and corrected them. After that it was working!! It moved some bad/corrupted files to a folder called FOUND.000. It ended up being all my pictures of my infant daughter and other pics. Luckily, I was able to rename the file extensions and move them back to the SD photo directory and all is good. I had backed up my SD card a month back but needless to say, I did another back up last night. Hopefully if this happens, you might be able to save your data. That's more important then a $30 SD card.

8. Linoleum

Linoleum Well-Known Member

I figured I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.....

I just bought a new 8g SD card for my rooted Hero. And I'm the type of person who wants a clean install and would prefer not to carry over any garbage files (created from downloading/deleting aps) from the 2g OEM card. What files do I absolutely HAVE to move over? I assume:

1) nandroid back up files
    2) ?????

Can't think of anything else... I don't have any pics or music on the phone.

Lastly, do I need to format the card before installing?

Thanks guys!
    Rich.

9. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

Since I don't know what apps you have on your phone, you can just copy/paste your nandroid files and your phone will create folders and files for what the phone needs. You can format the SD card with FAT32 if you want to. It won't hurt anything.

Linoleum likes this.
  10. Linoleum

Linoleum Well-Known Member

Any distinct advantage to formatting with FAT32? Just for kicks I powered down my phone, removed the back plate, and replaced the 2G with the 8G card and powered up. It gave a 'damaged card' message in the status bar. Super! Perhaps I HAVE to format before installing?