SD card problemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

i'm having serious problems with the SD card on my Milestone. Let me explain :
    1. If i try any generic app which tries to access the SD card, it says it's not there (Camera says "Please insert a SD card", other apps say similar warnings).
    2. Settings>SD card & phone storage says Unavailable to everything, like if the card is not mounted.
    3. Fun starts now - Ghost Commander has no problem reading and opening directories and files on the SD card.
    4. if i connect the phone to computer via "Charge only" option, i have no problems to view the SD card contects via "adb shell", "ls /sdcard" commands. I also see the /sdcard line when i try to list the mounted partitions using the mount command.

Any ideas ?

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Format the card and remove all the partitions you created on it.

To me it looks like the phone is unable to read the partitions you have there.

3. faugusztin

Well. This helps sometimes and sometimes not. Right now the format + reboot helped, but this card has been reformated in last weeks at least 5 times if not more.

Right now it is working again, but soon it will be missing again, as i stated before - it will be mounted to /sdcard mount point, it will be visible through Ghost Commander - but everything else (including the Settings screen) will say it's not there.

For now, when it's working, it says :
    Code (Text):
    1. <4>[    8.778839] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
    2. <6>[    8.779174] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address db96
    3. <6>[    8.782226] mmcblk0: mmc0:db96 SD16G 14.9 GiB
    4. <6>[    8.782714]  mmcblk0: p1

4. Szadzik

Maybe try another card. From what you are saying however, I bet you messed something up with it and it needs some real maintenance.

5. faugusztin

I have only 2 SD cards - the original 8GB Sandisk from Motorola which is totally dead (unknown reasons, i removed it from the phone after i bought the new card and tried it when these problems started, doesn't work anymore neither in phone or in PC) and a 16GB Kingston, which is the one i'm having problems with.

I didn't "messed" anything up, the only non-standard thing i ever did on this phone was to install UniversalAndRoot and MarketEnabler to soft-root the phone, enable the paid market access via faking the provider and then buy 1 app so far. I didn't messed with any system files, my SD card connector is not damaged...

Still, the problem i'm having is the fact, that the underlying Linux system can see the card (i can execute the ls command and it shows me the files here), i can see it via file browser app - but Android thinks it's not there. This seems like a software problem to me, not hardware.

By the way, it all started after 2.1-update1. Maybe another of the Motorola firmware surprises ? Still, it's annoying, but not as much as the random reboots with the original 2.1 :).

6. Szadzik

Really hard to say then.

7. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Hi. Two days after the UK update of 2.1, my milestone started doing the same- id turn the camera on and it would say there wasnt a sd card, but there was and my music was there, as well as the pics for contacts and background. I took the card out, put it back, and did this a few times. Sometimes it worked, others it didnt. Then it just wouldnt turn back on at all. Dead. So i rang Motorola Customer Care, who are in India i think, and they said i had to send it in for repairs to their centre in Kent(?!). It was there 1 1/2 weeks, 'awaiting component', but when i spoke to the repairers direct, i was told it needed a new case,antena,camera and flash, as well as an on-off switch! So i rang their head office in Basingstoke and spoke to a very nice woman in Cust Services called Jane Oliver. I told her the problem and got her address and wrote her a letter of complaint. This was posted on a saturday, and by the next wednesday i had a new handset, which ive had for a week now and all is well. The sd card is ok, the battery lasts longer, all seems good- as the unpdate promised. All very frustrating and makes me a bit wary of the 2.2 update when(if) it comes.

8. faugusztin

So here we are :
    Code (Text):
    1. <4>[    8.760101] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
    2. <6>[    8.760284] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address db96
    3. <6>[    8.765441] mmcblk0: mmc0:db96 SD16G 14.9 GiB
    4. <6>[    8.765899]  mmcblk0:<6>cpcap spi1.0: notify_accy: accy=3
    5. <4>[    8.769714]  p1
    This time card doesn't show up for Android, but it is accessible via Ghost Commander or adb.

So the difference is :
    Code (Text):
    1. <6>cpcap spi1.0: notify_accy: accy=3

9. faugusztin

And just for fun, after next reboot - the card is back, working and all fine. So it seems to me like some sort of firmware fail at initializing the SD card - one time it works, at different time it doesn't.

10. menahemy

menahemy New Member

Hi. Has this problem solved? I have it as well. My SD card was going on and off. Now it's dead. The phone (Milestone) detects that there is an SD card but it writes unavailable in the SD Card storage setting.

11. faugusztin

No, it sometimes detects, sometimes not. But for now, i'm not using Milestone too much, as i upgraded to Desire HD & Galaxy Tab.