SD card read only, recovery image gone, cannot reflash

Last Updated:

1. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. My Evo is rooted, but I have lost my recovery image. Attempts to reflash recovery via ROM Manager and ADB both failed. I now have a taskbar message saying the card is mounted read only. I put it in an adaptor, plugged into my PC and ran CheckDisk, which appeared to restore R/W status. I then put it back in the phone, rebooted and tried to flash a new image with ROM Manager, I have the read only issue again. I still have root, root apps still receive SU permissions, but I have no nand access and cannot reflash CWM or Amon.

Any help appreciated, TIA.

Advertisement
  2. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Try to reformat the SD card. And reformat to fat32. I think that should fix it.

uminchu likes this.
  3. uminchu

I thought about that, and I should have mentioned in the opening post the card contains a ext3 partition. Without a recovery image, I can't wipe data or clear dalvik. Could booting back up without the partition and missing apps cause additional issues?

4. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

I would assume you should be fine but I don't have the slightest idea.. I've never partitioned before.

5. uminchu

I backed up the SD card, formatted, restored the data (other than the ext partition), and rebooted. The phone runs ok, I don't see a read only alert (yet), apps run, but I still can't flash a recovery image. ROM Manager responds that the flash was successful, but rebooting into recovery ends up in fastboot, with no recovery option in the menu. Very frustrating.

Any ideas, suggestions, or help in any way would be welcome.

6. uminchu

The good news: Finally able to flash ClockworkMod via ADB, wipe, and restore a nand.
    The bad: Still cannot flash or swap recoveries via ROM Manager, the read only alert is back, and Titanium is force closing due to the card status.

The phone was feeling pretty hot when the card issue came back; I'm wondering if battery heat could be causing the card issues, which in turn may be a hint that my card is on its way out (A-Data 16g class 6).

Thoughts?

7. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Try a different sdcard?

8. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Don't use ROM Manager. You say it boots straight into recovery...just flash a safe and stable rom and be done with it. Ditch whatever ROM is causing you this issue.

9. uminchu

Thanks for your advice. I might have explained it badly, because I think you may have misunderstood. I was always able to boot into Android. I'd lost the recovery image, and therefore unable to get into recovery (I still don't know why the recovery image went away). Until last night, any attempt to boot into recovery ended up in fastboot instead. If I selected bootloader from the the fastboot menu, then selected recovery from the bootloader menu, with no recovery image to boot into, it would go right back to fastboot. But I could always boot into Android from fastboot or by simply powering up.

Yes, I have a stable ROM, but the card problem is still there. While I've finally been able to flash a CWM recovery image via ADB, I still have the read only issue. Yesterday, the phone would run awhile before it went into read only mode. I shut the phone phone down last night to allow it to cool, and when I started it up this morning, the read only issue was back from the get-go, which has me wondering if the card may be deteriorating.

Before finally getting an image flashed last night, I had numerous unsuccessful attempts via ADB (I checked the syntax each time, and it appeared correct), which has nothing to do with either the previous ROM (EViO2) or the current one (Warm3). ROM Manager won't flash a recovery from either ROM. It says it did, but if I try to swap an older version or Amon RA, then reboot into recovery, it boots up in CWM2501, which is what I flashed via ADB last night. I use both recovery images for different purposes, and ROM Manager is the easiest way to swap them. If possible, I would like to recover that functionality. At this point, I *think* the problem is the card, not the ROM or ROM Manager. I'm going to try another card today and see what happens.