SD Card recommendationAccessories

Last Updated:

1. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I remember from my iQue days that SD cards came in all flavors. What is the best SD card for use in the Captivate? We needed fast write for our maps, and I know you want that for cameras, so is that the case here, too? I'm not into cheap, I'm into quality at a good price - any suggestions would be great! I know we can go up to 32 gig, is that totally necessary (I know we can never have enough space, but money, while it isn't the key factor, is a factor here). :)

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The only 32GB card is a Class 2 card from SanDisk. You can get it for $99 from Verizon Wireless, or $130+ from other places. A bit hard to find though.

I'm not a fan of Kingston or SanDisk. They are the "common" brands that market themselves everywhere so everyone knows them, but they're hardly best of breed. They tend to have a higher failure rate and slower speeds than the competition, which is often priced about the same or less. The fact that Kingston offers "Class 10" cards that perform about as fast as a Class 2 should tell you something.

I would suggest any of the following brands: A-DATA, Lexar, PNY, Crucial, OCZ. A-DATA will probably give you the best bang for your buck, and they have a lifetime warranty.

The higher the class, the faster the speed (unless the manufacturer is lying). You can pick up a 16GB Class 6 card for just over $50 shipped. Check out NewEgg.

reinbeau likes this.
  3. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Yep, thanx, yesterday I found the 16 gb class 6 A-DATA on Newegg for about $54 delivered, and ordered it. I know about the low quality of SanDisk and Kingston from previous experience :)

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

reinbeau likes this.