• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card showing as number

athegn

Android Expert
May 26, 2010
On both my Galaxy S5 phone and Galaxy Tab S, both with latest Marshmellow updates, my external SD cards show as numbers in "My Files" and "Solid Explorer" e.g

/storage/3335-3735/Music

/storage/5A1C-s544/PDF

My wife's Galaxy S2 OS 6.01 shows:-

/SD card/PDF (Note no "storage" and "SD card" instead of alpha/numeric code)

Why should this be?

Last edited:
When the Droid Turbo 2 upgraded to 6.0.0 there were two changes introduced ...

(1) The name of the external SD card has been sdcard1 for years and years. It is now a unique number like 6337-3536. The apps that you had in the past (like file managers) that pointed to /sdcard1/something will now have to be revised. There no longer is an sdcard1.

(2) When connected by a USB cable to Windows 7 ... some of the files on the SD Ext card on the Turbo 2 will not be seen from the Windows 7 Computer display. I am still investigating this one. The files do seem to show up eventually.

I think the card name change was done for security concerns. Each card now has a serial number.

Some apps use the number and some have been updated to display a replacement string when they see the number.

... Thom

Reactions: IsaacGuti
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones