• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sd card transfer

gemmy

May 20, 2010
Is it possible to take the sd card out of my Eris and put it in my new Incredible without reformating. I used my sd card for backing up my apps and one of them is Malibo ringtones which is no longer on the market. I would like to know if it is possible to transfer them to a new phone this way.

gemmy,

You should not need to format or otherwise clean up your card.

As far as transferring apps, you should use something like Titanium Backup on the Eris (to back it up to the SD card), and then (again) use Titanium Backup on the new phone to restore it. If you haven't already done that, probably the only thing on the SD card is some of the app's data files. (You are looking to back up the application ".apk" file at a minimum - I think Ti Backup can backup both that and application settings to the SD card - so long as it is not a "protected app", but don't quote me on that - I've never used it).

Note that sometimes an application will not show up in the Market when it shows up for other phones - that can be due to the fact that the App developer knows that there is a problem with the App on certain Android releases, and "marks" the App in a way that it will not show up for users that have that have a phone that uses that version of Android.

I don't know if that is the case here - I don't know what version of Android the Incredible has on it. But anyway - there is a small chance that even if you are able to back the app up, it still may not work.

But, give it a shot and see what happens. Please report back here so others can learn from your experience.

eu1

Upvote 0
gemmy, eu1:

I believe that version 2.2 (Froyo) is being pushed-out starting today for the Incredible -- so gemmy's Incredible could be 2.1 today and 2.2 tomorow :eek:.

Also FWIW, I've been playing with developing apps for the Android. When you start creating a new app, you are required to specify the base/lowest version number (i.e., the "Build Target" / API Level / Min SDK Version) that the application can (or will be allowed to) run on.

Just for grins, I tried building an app set to version 2.2 (API level 8) and was not able to deploy/test it to my Droid X (running v2.1). The error I received was:

[2010-08-27 21:21:27 - test2point2] ERROR: Application requires API version 8. Device API version is 7 (Android 2.1-update1).

[2010-08-27 21:21:27 - test2point2] Launch canceled!

I would think that most developers would try to build their apps for the widest audience possible, but there might be APIs and features that are only available in later versions of Android (or, they were just lazy and selected the most recent version instead of building their app to be backwards-compatible).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I am using My Backup Pro. It says it backs up apps, and data. Will that be enough or should I download the titanium one. I have not received the Incredible yet I will be ordering it soon though. On the Verizon website it says it comes with 2.2 on it.

So even if I have the Malibo ringtones on my sd card it may not work on 2.2 is this right? I really like that ringtone app. I have zedge too but it does not have a easy search on it. Is there another ringtone app out in the market now that is similar to Malibo? That is the only app I would miss switching phones.

Upvote 0
gemmy,

i poked around a little on the internet, and found various people mentioning Mabilo disappearing from the Market. It's hard to know if those reports are due to temporary hiccups in the Market or something else. In any event, I think that you can download their app directly from the Mabilo website.

Also, I took note of scary alien's remark about minimum Android level compatibility in the market - that suggests that Android OS releases should be upwardly compatible with prior apps. I would just install it on the Inc first from the Market (if you can find it), and directly from Mabilo's site if it is not on the market. If it works, you will know, and if it doesn't - just uninstall it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones