• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Upgrade - Ringtones jumbled

sparafucile

Jan 9, 2011
I have all my contacts assigned to (usually) a unique ringtone. I have 120MB of ringtones stored on sdcard/media/ringtones.

Now, I'm upgrading from an 8GB microSD card to a 32GB, to store more music. Copying the entire SD card contents off my phone, via the USB cable, directly onto the new 32GB card inserted in my PC goes smoothly, and all the apps seem to work.

However, all my ringtone assignments, plus all my phone settings (for notifications, etc) get jumbles, so they all point to different mp3/wav files.

Why?? And more importantly, how can I keep this from happening. I'm really not up for re-editing 500 contacts. Nor am I up for the surprises in-store when I encounter something wholly inappropriate (like my super-sweet girlfriend triggering the wicked witch of the west's theme music....).

If you don't want to reassign ringtones you can download shuffle tone 2.0 or 3.0 free from the market. It allows you to shuffle tones for calls and text. You can set it to shuffle every call/text or every hour for calls/text. Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

I don't think he wants to shuffle his ring tones as he clearly said he wants them reassigned to specific contacts but they're getting shuffled instead.

To OP, how are you setting up the ringtones in the first place. Is it via a custom ROM or are you using a particular app.

My guess either way is that you may have to 're-edit' the contacts to point to the right file. It's entirely possible that although the physical address is static in your settings, the SD card memory portion itself has changed (since its a new card). That would be a guess. I would still look into an app that can maybe handle the ringtones outside of the phone settings that can have a backup/restore function built in for these purposes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones