SD card UpgradeAccessories

Last Updated:

1. PlowRox

PlowRox Banned This Topic's Starter

I hope I am Keeping this simple....

and this is for the samsung vibrant..

This is what I did to upgrade from the stock 2g card to a 4g card I got from micro center [kingston] for $9.99

plug in the vibrant via usb to your ms pc [ms = microsoft]

touch on mass media [ ie the menu that pops up on the phone]

once its been plugged in...
    swipe down the notice bar and touch..[ notice i didn't say click..]

the usb notice... and say mount

note here: if you have samsung "kies" installed close it..it wont work and it wont see the card or the phone properly... don't ask me why... its jacked up neither the uk or the usa ver sees the phone properly...

ok at this point your ms box will see two drives side by side [ mine says drive o and drive n] your device names will vary! but you should see two

ok one of the drives it See's will be folders of stuff you installed...

the other folder will be stuff like folders with .xxxx and names of stuff you didn't install

for obvious reasons i cant tell you how or what this will look like....

OK as you recall i told you that you will have 2 drives/names....
    make a folder on your ms box...and backup each to a folder be sure to make sure you remember the names...

once you have both drives/folders backed up... log off dissconect the phone / usb drive from ms box....

un plug the sdcard...

plug in the new sd card

once the phone See's the new card

and it is mounted... un mount it and format it

select this format from pressing settings and selecting sd card right under privacy...

[ note ]this step is prolly not needed but it cant hurt... [none of the stuff i found on Google said to rely on the formated card]

when it is done formating it will mount auto....

at this point plug back in your pc/usb cable to the phone... and hook up to your ms box

again you will have 2 diff drives...

copy the files over from your back up to the same place on the new sd card/drive that you saved to from earlier... you did pay attention..yes??

note at this point the folder with the .xxxx files will look the same as your back up... just copy the files/folders over anyways and over write if asked!

I believe this is from the format process [the one i had you do...] and your copying over the files is redundant... but i don't know for sure...

when your done copying over the files you backed up....dis mount the card/phone

un plug the cable

reboot your phone.....

viola!

there you go

please note....

some peeps said/noted that you loose all sound settings...

i did not find this to be true...

all of my sound/phone settings were working just fine...

i know all of the above seems rather long...

it is not really

this is the first for the vibrant...

please say thanks if i helped...
    if you are lost plz! msg me and i will try to help

this is an awesome phone!

be smarter than the delete key !

full refund with cash provide proof of purchase!

your mileage will vary !!

I hope I was able to help

PlowRox

:):):):):):):):)

Advertisement
  2. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

Seems way more complicated than it needs to be. All I did copy files from stock sd to my hdd, plug in new card, copy files from hdd to new card. No rebooting or anything of that nature.

3. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

I didnt even do that. I dont want Avatar on my new card. Just stuck in the new card and transferred music to it from iTunes.

4. presence06

presence06 Well-Known Member

What is everyone putting on their SD card? All I have on mine is the Avatar movie. I copied the entire movie folder over to my pc And was looking at upgrading to a Class 6 8GB SD card. I also put music on the phone storage I want to move it to the SD card instead.

5. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a 32gb micro sd class 10 yet? Can't find one anywhere.

6. melll

melll Well-Known Member

7. SamsungVibrant

hmmm thanks, never heard of storage options. what is conversion to us dollars? how much was shipping, or does the free amazon shippin apply to uk also.

edit.
    just converted, 77 us dollars? holly shit thats cheap for a 32gb class 10 microsd card, is that price correct? never heard of storage options, what company is that?

edit:
    just tried purchasing it, it WONT let me, says can't ship to my address in the US :(

how did you end up ordering it?

8. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Wow that sucks man. Why would they ship to Canada but USA not?

I just ordered normally. I bought some sd cards and cables last night no problem. Listed USA Canada and dozens of other countries when I made my order from the UK Amazon.

I first made an American Account, and it lets me order from any Amazon and I live in Canada.

Edit: I just put the order for the SD car I posted. Order went all the way though, just did not hit the final buy button.

So it will ship to me in Canada.

HadouGhost likes this.
  9. Polaris_999

Polaris_999 Member

I think you may have just wasted your money there dude..... from what I see on that link, its a standard SDHC, and if you have a Vibrant, you need a MICRO SDHC....

That's also why the pricing is so cheap.....

So far, I haven't been able to find a 32Gb Micro SDHC at all, let alone a Class 10, but that's not to say one doesn't exist..... but if it does, I imagine it would cost a lot more than the price on the link you provided...

10. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Turn that frown upsided down, you got lucky the order wouldn't go through, Amazon saved you... :)

Exactly right... Maybe it's not too late for Melll to cancel his order. Yep, that price will be way too cheap for even an off brand 32GB Micro SDHC.

Last I heard it will be Q1 2011 before we see a 32GB Micro will be out. I'm guessing the will retail for between $120 and $200 depending on brand and speed.

11. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Just noticed that. And luckily I did not order it. I just went to the final stage to see if it would ship to me.

12. SamsungVibrant

WHAT! DUDE you said you ordered it "last night." Now you are saying you didn't order it. Okay:rolleyes:

Well I didn't realize it was not microSD, yikes, good thing I didn't order it.

13. SamsungVibrant

14. melll

melll Well-Known Member